Trying to build the C4S board but....

Michael415 · 8735

Offline Michael415

on: July 16, 2010, 10:52:45 PM
I have ran into a bump in the road. I printed out the instructions and it states "Insert the MJE350 transistor such that the metal side faces the outside edge of the PC board." The problem is the transistor in the kit does not have a metal side. How can I make sure I have it mounted correctly on the board before sodering? I will attach a few pics of the board if that helps.

Michael Davis

Rega Saturn|Moon Amp|Monitor Audio PL100's
NAD 542|S.E.X. Amp (in process)|Grado phones

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:16:10 AM
Doc posted a thread about this in the General Discussion page. More just a note.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,845.0.html

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the text faces into the board, because thats the "front" of the transistor.

edit: Just looked at your pictures. You got that one right it appears.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline ssssly

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:30:03 AM
Looks like the transistor is in the right way.

I would not leave that resistor hanging out like that though. Those leads will present a pretty nasty shock hazard and you have bent them into a rather effective little antenna.

For cramming large resistors like that into closely spaced PCB holes I normally bend one lead down 90deg at the end of the resistor body for the first hole. Then bend the other back 180deg along the body of the resistor and then 90deg out from the body of the resistor where the second hole is and shrink tube that lead. Will cut down on noise pickup and keep you from accidentally shocking yourself.

Offline Michael415

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:05 AM
Thanks so much - I don't know how I missed that thread as I did a search.
Thanks again!

Michael Davis

Rega Saturn|Moon Amp|Monitor Audio PL100's
NAD 542|S.E.X. Amp (in process)|Grado phones