Ortofon 2M Blue

bainjs · 11945

Offline bainjs

on: April 20, 2012, 07:56:35 AM
I just upgraded by Ortofon 2M Red on my Rega TT to the Blue by replacing the stylus. I was surprised on how immediately the sound opened up.  More clarity especially in the mid and high areas.  My wife, Carlene didn't know I had made the switch and she commented several times that she heard new instruments previously not heard.  Also, with 5.5mv output, it works with the  Seduction great.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:56:39 AM by bainjs »

Joel Bain

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:20:34 AM
Im still slumming it with the Shure M97xe and a Pickering XV-15.   I havent heard the 2M Blue.  All I have in terms of Ortofon is a Super OM10, it's OK but I prefer the Pickering and Shure.  Since picking up the SL1200MK2 I have considered trying an Ortofon ProS with the stylus from the OM10.  Maybe picking up a stylus 20 or 30 later for it.  I understand that all the OM series styli will work perfectly with the ProS.  No aligning, just screw in and spin.  Just not sure I would prefer the cart even with one of the better ortofon styli over my budget basic Shure or Pickering.  Kinda expensive experiment once I get into the Sty20 and up.

From reviews Ive read the 2M Red doesnt sound like my thing at all.  The Blue is supposed to be a different and better sounding cart.  How do you find the Blue compared to the Red?  I hear a lot of folks saying the Red is bright and the Blue more balanced yet more detailed.  Yes, no?   What about the low end between the two?

Desmond G.

Offline bainjs

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:43 PM
Yes, the blue is more balanced overall.  I can't say one area outshines the other.  I used to use an OM 10 and I can tell you can't even compare the 2.  I was always disappointed with it's inability to separate the instruments very well. Kind of mushy... 

I was pleased when I moved up to the 2M red.  In fact, I still use it in another TT.  I guess the blue just does everything better.  The red and blue work the same way the OM series do, you can upgrade by just replacing the stylus.  I took the chance on the blue when I found a slightly used one for less than the stylus alone.

I think I would have to dramatically upgrade my TT ( Rega P1 with glass platter) and cartridge before I could get a better sounding combination to my ears. 

Joel

Joel Bain

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
The only difference between the red and blue is the nude elliptical stylus, but it makes for a large difference in sq, IMHO. The Project Rm1.3 TT I use in my bedroom system came with the red, and I replaced the stylus with the blue as well. As bainjs stated it improved instrument seperation as well as depth of field. The low-end is tighter and more accurate, I did notice a tiny increase in surface noise, due to the nude stylus picking up more detail I assume. Not enough to bother me though. A worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:37:24 AM
Thanks guys.  I really dont think the 2M series suits my tastes.  Im very much into the vintage sounding carts.  That usually means giving up some extension up top, serperation and detail but thats ok with me.  I dont mind missing what those carts may be missing.   Despite the mixed reviews of the M97xe, I think it's a good budget cart, rolled off treble and all ... once you get one without any major QC issues.  Definitely more along the lines of some of the budget vintage carts that were well regarded in their day.  Moreso than many of the more modern carts that seem to put more emphasis on detail.   The Pickering XV-15 (= Stanton 681) is similiar in character in terms of being a warmer cart but a bit more extended up top.  Both very much on the warm side with good bass and midbass eventhough not what you'd call a tight or controlled bottom end.  The majority of my carts were Shure and quite a few Stanton as well when I first started listening in the late 70's through 80's.  I remember preferring them over the Audio Technicas back then, even a much more expensive AT that was supposed to be a very good cart in it's day.  I guess that's my reference on the vinyl sound.  I think a more logical course for me may be the Jico SAS stylus for the M97.  Supposed to be a very good combo.  I may try that some day.  I do want to try one of the budget end Nagaokas one day as well.   Lots of good reviews for the 2M series, I know they are fine carts.  Just not my cup of tea I dont think.  It's not a bad thing either that I am easy to please with the sub $100 carts.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:42:32 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:00:11 AM
The ATs were good carts back then, but I agree with you about the Stantons, although it has been some time since I have heard either. Have you given any of the modern wood bodies a try, I had a Virtuoso on my Concept but it was not exactly warm. I wonder about the Grados and some of the various Japanese carts with wood bodies. It would be nice to hear some. Maybe their sound would be similar to what was around 30 to 40 years ago, God has it been that long! Joel if you get a chance to listen to a 2M Black, do so. It displaced the afformentioned Virtuoso on my concept, the Shibata stylus is great..

Feeling a little old now,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:58:27 AM
I just havent been able to bring myself to spend a lot of money on a cart.  I havent tried any of the wood bodies and I've always feared the notorious Grado hum although I'd like to try one of the budget models.  Seems to be a love/hate relationship between a lot of folks and Grado carts.   
When I set the headphone system up and added the turntable, I was immediately brought back 30 years when I spun the first LP on the new system.  I did a good deal of late night headphone listening back then because of apartment living back in college.  I think the cart I was using when I first added the TT to the headphone system was a Shure M91ed.  Ive since tried an Ortofon OM10, an AT (dont remember model, P mount with adapter), the M97, Pickering/Stanton and a couple other budget carts.  Since picking up the SL1200MK2 the M97 and Pickering XV-15 are in rotation on two different headshells.   Im happy with both and happy overall.  I know there are far better carts out there but I just dont know if I would really enjoy them any better.  The vast majority of the old LP collection is Rock (mostly metal and classic) with some blues thrown in.  Im not a jazz or classical guy and I cannot listen to music just because the recording and production is great.  I think it all contributes to me not being too hard to please.  Music lover here, not audiophile.  Im perectly happy with that.

Desmond G.

Offline E.T.

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:17 AM
Thanks guys.  I really dont think the 2M series suits my tastes.  Im very much into the vintage sounding carts.  That usually means giving up some extension up top, serperation and detail but thats ok with me.  I dont mind missing what those carts may be missing.    

Those are my tastes too.  My ears were calibrated in the 60's and 70's by a tube amp, and for better or worse, that's just what music sounds like to me.

When I first heard a 2M I disliked it right away -- it sounded too much like a CD!   :o   What I was told was that the OM series is still based on theory and design from the 70's, while the 2M's use some fundamental improvements in that dept.  And that of course is why so many people like them -- they really are better in terms of detail and clarity.  They also have much more energy in the high-highs, which is what bothered me.

Still true:  ya likes what ya likes, and ya don't gotta 'pologize for it.............