Paramour I Problem

Paully · 1749

Offline Paully

on: March 08, 2014, 02:43:04 PM
I picked up a very old, unbuilt Paramour I kit from one of my wife's relatives who had bought it and never built it.  So Grainger and I have built it.  Now trouble shooting.  Only the faintest sound comes from the speakers, barely audible.  We have installed some make shift C4S boards and have gone through the voltage and resistance checks multiple times.  Nothing is off by much at all though B1 read 180V.  That would be the biggest difference of all the checkpoints. 

The resistance checks seem to be well within spec.  And we have gone over the connections, ringing them out to check solder joints, and they all look right.  But since both amps are doing the exact same thing it seems like we have to have wired something incorrectly in both but which we think is right.  So we don't know what to do now.  Help!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:48:34 PM
Apply signal and trace it thru the circuit to find where it stops.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paully

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:22 PM
Well, that seems like an intelligent suggestion.  Will do that in the morning.

Offline Paully

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Doc, we traced it this morning and quickly figured out we had the interstage cap going to pin B3 instead of pin 1.  We appreciate the suggestion.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Doc, we traced it this morning and quickly figured out we had the interstage cap going to pin B3 instead of pin 1.  We appreciate the suggestion.

I didn't think it was a cathode follower, it was the result of a late night and long day.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:07:17 AM by Grainger49 »