best option for pot/stepped attenuator?

nub · 25645

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 05:07:36 PM
Are the majority of the potentiometers drop in replacements in terms of the cut-out on the mounting plate or is there a bit of Dremel work involved?  I'm considering adding a 100k Blue Velvet along with the Speedball that I should have in next week.
We have in the past used and followed the US standard 1/4-inch hole with another adjacent hole for the anti-rotation lug/post. However, there are many non-standard and/or metric products out there, especially among the audiophile specialty products. In recent years, we have tried to make holes that fit the Goldpoint products as well, since they are only slightly different and are among the most affordable options. But we have not made any attempt to identify all the possibilities! Sorry but you will have to do your own homework to find out if a non-stock part will fit.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:56 AM
The good news with the crack is that theree is a fairly generous amount of room to work with and I've not yet found a pot that won't fit, but some of the metric pots do need a bit of work with a rat tail file or reamer, or whatever to open the hole up a bit.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:26:54 AM
Are the majority of the potentiometers drop in replacements in terms of the cut-out on the mounting plate or is there a bit of Dremel work involved?  I'm considering adding a 100k Blue Velvet along with the Speedball that I should have in next week.
We have in the past used and followed the US standard 1/4-inch hole with another adjacent hole for the anti-rotation lug/post.

To clarify, The standard shaft dia. is 1/4", and the mounting hole is 3/8"

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.