Does anyone have pictures of a Crack with rusted bellend?

Immanence · 1197

Offline Immanence

I'd like to get a sense of what it would look like. I feel like that would actually be a cool aesthetic.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 08:42:28 AM
Many, many years ago I did a pair of amps with purposely rusted end bells and channel frames, a verdigris looking chassis panel and green flocking on the exposed transformer coils. Sorry I don't seem to have a picture handy, maybe someone else has a pic of it. People did seem to like it. I used some kind of chemical rust finish kit from Michaels IIRC. These days I would just take the end bell with me to Bonneville...Do cover the rust with a clear coat so it doesn't get rubbed off on your hands when you handle the amp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:56:36 PM
I couldn't find the specific image, but found a kinda sorta similar 'amp with patina' to get the idea.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/vintage-amps/45830-old-rusty-transformers

You may have to scroll down to see it. I think it might be a kind of cool look. Older cars with a 'patina' finish have become very popular, and are often finished with a clearcoat to stop (or really, really slow down) the corrosion and prevent it coming off due to handling and use.

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:06:37 AM
Google "fake rust patina". Popular with Old Skool hot rodders.

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 09:26:30 AM
Somewhat OT: This thread reminds me of the on-campus apartment complex I lived in for 3 years during college in the mid-1970s.  The complex was built and run by the school.  A few months after completion in 1973, it's design beat out over 50 other entries nationwide as the "best college living quarters structure."

What's the connection to this thread?  "The (outer) walls were constructed of CORE TEN steel, a special material that... (was) intentionally designed to oxidize under the impression that rust would give it an aesthetic affect."  To make a long story short, the complex had numerous problems including those outer rusted steel walls and was torn down well before its predicted life expectancy.       

Offline sl-15

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 02:36:03 PM
This is a Foreplay 3 extended that I built in 2008. I never painted the bell, only gave it a cleaning and maybe a steel wool treatment and then 'preserved' it with Turtle car wax. At one point, maybe 6 years ago I did the steel wool treatment again and applied turtle wax. As you can see I does not rust much, at least with the wax treatment I guess.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:49:05 PM by sl-15 »

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 02:55:11 PM
Love the FP III lets see more shots overall and under.

Lee R.

Offline Immanence

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 06:58:16 PM
Follow up: you are only supposed to paint the top to maintain metal contact surface. Is there an issue if the underside rusts, or does that not impede anything?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:05:59 PM
We have not run into issues with rust on the bottom of the transformer covers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 11:40:22 AM
Not on subject anymore but here are more shots as desired by Thermioniclife. Forplay 3 extended, my first Bottlehead built back in 2008. Also present a Crack and Eros.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 01:42:17 PM
I have always had an affection to the FP3 extended and stock.
Here are my FP3 type preamps

Lee R.

Offline sl-15

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 04:13:50 PM
I like the grey transformer bell, what is the color, do you remember? And I have seen the Fi Foreplay version before on this forum, very cool.

Stefan Hampel

Offline Immanence

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 06:15:15 PM
I ended up painting it, but I'm happy with the way it came out.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 06:15:54 PM
It's Krylon gloss smoke grey. I have had that can for many years, It's a great utility grey grey. Have used it on many end bells and 2 sex 3.0's and some battery boxes for EMG pickups and active preamps for a couple of bass's I have. It's pretty durable.

Lee R.

Offline sl-15

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 04:54:42 AM
Nice work on the Crack. What did you treat the base with? Looks real good.

Stefan Hampel