b3   OL
b4   OL
b5   OL
b6   OL
b7   132
b8   OL

Heaters work
B+ test passed (330v)

I prodded and poked a bit but have no idea where to go from here.  I made a bit of a mess of the input switch the first go around.  I neglected to read ahead and wired the outer terminals across the top and not around the outside.  This made wiring up the pots a bit of a challenge.  I've since fixed it, but you can see the pot wires are a little....er....melty.  I decided NOT to replace them since it would have required de-soldering a couple of those 3-wire pot connections and the insulation does not appear to be burned through.

I was able to confirm proper ground on all RCA jacks using the selector switch and performed a bunch of continuity checks (all good).  I re-flowed a couple of joints because... well not sure why.

I'm kind of stuck as to next steps.

Pics:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:47:27 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 05:34:37 AM
Can you tell us more about your meter?  It doesn't seem to want to resolve much over really low resistances, so it's possible that it's just not set to the right position.  If you have a meter with manual resistance range selection and you have it set to something like 200 ohms, then you'll be able to see the terminals that are supposed to be 22 Ohms, but anything over 200 ohms will appear as "OL".

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline SeeRockCity

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 07:03:12 AM
Can you tell us more about your meter?  It doesn't seem to want to resolve much over really low resistances, so it's possible that it's just not set to the right position.  If you have a meter with manual resistance range selection and you have it set to something like 200 ohms, then you'll be able to see the terminals that are supposed to be 22 Ohms, but anything over 200 ohms will appear as "OL".

Thanks Paul.  Great question.  I had the same thought; that there was something wrong with the measurer and not the measurements :)

I have an Etekcity A1000

The manual is pretty light but I did review the section on measuring resistance just to see if there was something along those lines.  As far as I can tell it is supposed to "auto" set the range.  I tried changing the range using the range button, but it didn't seem to have any effect.  I tried the same exercise with a cheap(er) little handyman meter that I had lying around and got similar results.  That unit DOES have a range setting for resistance, but changing it didn't seem to have much affect on the nodes marked "*".

Still not convinced it's not user error.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 03:12:42 PM
It should be very, very easy to measure 10K between the front and back lugs on the top level of the volume pot.  If you can't resolve that resistance measurement, 99% of the time that would be the meter. If at all possible, try setting that blue meter to the 60K range and see what happens.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline SeeRockCity

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 03:52:06 AM
It should be very, very easy to measure 10K between the front and back lugs on the top level of the volume pot.  If you can't resolve that resistance measurement, 99% of the time that would be the meter. If at all possible, try setting that blue meter to the 60K range and see what happens.

New development...

I have learned that if you know how to use a multimeter you will have a much improved chance of measuring things with it.

I may have to spring for one with an actual manual.  Thank you for the nudge. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 05:07:14 AM
Thanks for coming here first before disassembling your kit in frustration!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline SeeRockCity

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 06:30:06 AM
She Floats!

Initial impressions are between Wow! and Blown away.

Thank you for the help. 

For those of you following along, short version - RTFM.

Offline SeeRockCity

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 06:30:56 AM
Thanks for coming here first before disassembling your kit in frustration!

Lol, I'm sure that happens. 

The troubleshooting is where the learning happens.