Cap shoot out

tsingle999 · 3686

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 02:43:55 PM
Hey Jim - I think thats my problem. I want the copper/silvers in the v-caps. Just crazy expensive. Maybe used.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline corndog71

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 04:16:33 PM
The V-Caps are great caps.  Once they're broken in, which takes a loooooong time.  The first couple hundred hours they can sound really good and really bad and back and forth.  Once they're broken in they're super smooth, dynamic and neutral.  Excellent detail from top to bottom.  The teflon ones that is. I haven't heard the copper ones but I've heard they're even better.

The Clarity MR caps are very similar but perhaps a touch more resolving than the teflon V-caps.  The MRs can sometimes be a bit ruthlessly revealing while breaking in and also take a long time to do so.

Both will show some of their greatness immediately after installing them.  I instantly heard an improvement over the Erse, Solen, Jantzen, and Kimber Kaps I'd used before as well as the very good Sonicap and Clarity Cap ESA. 

Yes, they're damn expensive but they do bring the goods.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 04:34:29 PM
Dear Jim;  Yes, my system is all parallel-feed, all MagneQuest iron, nickel, and cobalt; all triode, and all V-caps in the signal path, and the signal path is all-Bottlehead Customs. Eight years of parts collecting, one superb builder(Paul Birkeland), and the expertise of the entire BH crew. I am a very lucky music lover! Kudos to PJ, PB, Dan, & Queen Eileen. Going up to VSAC three times really paid off for me. Clark and Molly Blumenstein are the icing on my BH cake!

Cheers, Hank

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:37 PM
Hank that was a really nice write up and that 2a3 amp is about the coolest piece of gear i have ever seen! Wish i could get to hear it someday - we need vsac!
Thanks for the mr cap comments. I might refinance my house to get all the caps / tubes i need...

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 04:05:01 AM
Hank,

When I'm done, my system will have a lot in common with yours -- a couple of custom BH pieces, lots of nickel and of course the Orcas and sub.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)