Good Wireless DAC?

tdogzthmn · 4322

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:31 PM
I have my computer on the far end of my room which has my speakers.  I't would be nice to be able to stream my music in bit-perfect quality to my S.E.X. amp.  I believe the logitech squeeze box is one option but I'm hoping there might be others to consider.

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:34 PM
   I have some experience with a similar setup for my father's.  There are many options, but your ideal solution depends on your other constraints. For instance: which source/amp/speaker components can you co-locate (based on your example, all can't be together), can you string wire (either interconnect or speaker [location of SEX dependent], either in wall or on floor), how much control do you want at one end of the room or the other, and how much $$ is a factor.   
   I'll skip to the end & say my father had me configure an Audioengine D2 wireless DAC (he gave up a Squeeze Box that was giving him trouble).  It solved his unique problem with plug-n-play efficiency, but at a cost could have funded a new music serving computer co-located with his amp/speakers for his non-audiophile tastes.  In his case he specifically didn't want another computer, was willing to pay for not having wires, and wanted the music for more background noise than involved listening. I haven't spent the time around his music collection to fully evaluate sound quality (nor does he have the BH gear to appreciate it), but it moves the bits from a mac mini to his big box store receiver with RCA inputs.
   In my own listening setup, I've gone to other lengths to optimize sound quality.  I've had a NAS-based music collection for more than a decade, so my priority has been to deliver the network cable to the vicinity of the amp, where I've put a receiving device and DAC (music server, network enabled Oppo, etc).  I prefer this due to the control it gives me and minimizing the number of conversions, but YMMV.
Cheers,
Bill

Bill Chase
Digital music collection enjoyed thru:
   Mac Mini to Jolida Glass DSD DAC
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   DecWare Ultra Preamp w 5x Paramount 300Bs with Magnequest Iron
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1
Guitars and Ukulele enjoyed by Tode

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:35:23 AM
Hi,

I am using an Apple Airport Express for my second system. The DAC is certainly not highend, but if you're streaming MP3's it will be good enough. Downside, you're stuck with Itunes  (alternative is a software called Airfoil). With mainly lossless material, one can use it with a separate DAC and Toslink for better sound quality.

Another system that comes to mind is Sonos, but I have no experience with it.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:57:39 AM
Happy new year! - as far as 'wireless' I dont think you can do better than WiFi ex. Logitech Touch, Transporter etc. I am still using Wifi after all these years, even though I have upgraded the DAC etc. Logitech is discontinuing their audiophile line of kit. Get one while you can. You can also look at NAD etc. They are introducing Wifi enabled servers.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:08 PM
Thanks for the responses!  I also see that Arcam has a product called the rDAC which supports audio at 96/24 resolution via USB but I'm not sure if it streams at the same rates.