Semi-OT: Workbench Surface

caffeinator · 5602

Offline caffeinator

on: October 26, 2012, 07:17:57 PM
Hello All,

I have just about finished putting together a workbench, but am pausing to consider putting a work surface of some kind on it before it gets buried with stuff.

The bench top is CDX plywood, since it was what I happened to have on hand.  Since it had been knocking around the garage for a while, there are some missing, shrunken and crumbling knot-spots, and it's a little rough.

So, I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for a good general purpose work surface?  I could probably fill the voids and maybe put on a light coat of some kind of finish, or perhaps put down a layer of masonite or something like that.  A workbench in a place I lived once had cardboard on top, which actually wasn't bad for some uses.  The surface will mostly be used for miscellaneous household tasks, electronics, some woodworking tasks, and, of course, providing a level surface for the accumulation of junk.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:46:06 PM
When I finished off my workshop early this year, I tiled one surface with cheap ceramic tile (on top of two layers of ply) and put masonite on the other.  While the tile was 90 cents per square foot, it still looks awesome and holds up to all the abuse I give it.  When building gear, I have big foam pads that I rest on the surface for protection.

The masonite looks like hell, and I haven't really done much to contribute to that.  It just doesn't have sufficient scratch resistance in my opinion.

If money was not a limitation, I would get 20-30mm honed granite.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:35 AM
I've had superb results with cork flooring on top of either ply or a solid core door.  And this works equally well for a desk work surface as well as shop and electronics use.  It's super tough, holds up well, doesn't burn or scratch easily, and looks great with no special maintenance at all.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:45:55 AM
That black silica filled epoxy lab bench top stuff is awesome. Awesomely expensive too, I imagine.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:21:40 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions - please keep them coming.  Coincidentally, I was wandering Home Depot last night and looking at some tile.  Cost runs anywhere from the low $1's per s.f. on up, but, as I have about 16 s.f. to cover, it won't add up that fast.

Masonite has the main advantages of being cheap and fast, but yes, even the 'tempered' type (the kind with the hard as opposed to sort of fuzzy surface) doesn't hold up to much wear and tear.

The cork flooring seems like a great idea...I may have to go back to HD and look at some of that.  I even have some leveling compound I could use to fill the voids in the ply underneath.

Of course, laboratory work surface seems like the gold standard, but as I have little gold, I'll have to opt for something more thrifty.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:46 AM
What about a laminate ( "formica").   The higher tech, super durable stuff is kinda expensive but the standard stuff isnt and holds up pretty well.   If you dont need the edges covered,  it would be easy to do with some contact cement and trim around the edges with a laminate trimmer.  You can pretty easily do the edges too if need be.    I like the tile, but would prefer a smooth surface myself.   

Desmond G.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:21 AM
That's a pretty good idea!  I've done that (sort of) in the past - a couple of houses ago, I used a preformed countertop (counter with formed-in, pre-covered bullnose and backsplash) for a workbench top.  It looked good, though since I got it on clearance, I had to take the pattern they had (now it would be called "MadMen retro-cool" but at the time was more like Disney Tomorrowland family bathroom), and at least at first, it seemed odd to be doing dirty work on the pristine, brightly colored surface.

But, you're right - it's durable and reasonably priced, and I still have all the tools from a laminate job I did a few years back...including the rollers, trimmer, and a huge can of contact cement.

Offline RayP

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 08:48:37 AM
I inherited a nice old desk with great drawers for storing stuff. The desk top is very close to 2' x 4' and I just laid a sheet of clear polycarbonate on top. It's worked well for several years and there is no damage to the top of the desk..

On top of the polycarbonate I have a lazy susan from Ikea. It helps to be able to turn the latest building project around to make it easier to get at it for soldering etc.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483/

ray

Ray Perry

Offline electrovice

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 02:26:14 PM
Any thrift stores where you live? I see butcher block top tables in thrifts all of the time. Hard rock maple is rare but oak or mystery wood tables are pretty common. The material is pretty durable and blemishes can often be sanded right out. If you go on the final day of a color discount (Mondays at the Seattle area Goodwills) you might score a suitable table for $1.29.

John

4krow

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:47 PM
So far, I have been happy with a very low cut carpet. No scratches, and then are less likely roll off. But maybe different sections would benefit from different surfaces. Wood works well when mounting work lights or something that benefits from stability. Carpet is good to set  component on.

Offline rif

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:50 AM
Many years ago I toyed with the idea of using a sheet of hdpe for a benchtop.  I believe that's the material used in cutting boards. In any case I never got around to actually making a bench.

-david

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:41 AM
Many years ago I toyed with the idea of using a sheet of hdpe for a benchtop.

In my last living situation, my bench tops were 3/8" marine HDPE.  This was a pretty nice arrangement, as HDPE is very soft and won't scratch most surfaces, but I noticed that hot solder blobs would cause some problems, and found myself using acetone here and there to get the surface clean. 

The ultra bright white color sure did provide a nice look!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubejack

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:21:05 AM
I have a workshop with wooden benches topped with 3/4" A/C ply and 1/4" masonite glued to that surface, with a couple of coats of poly.  I also have 2 steel rolling work surfaces http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Work-Table-49/dp/B001TMEX7E.  On both I lay down non-skid tool drawer liner on my assembly work surfaces.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOOL-BOX-DRAWER-NON-SLIP-LINER-PADDED-LINING-PAD-FOAM-RUBBER-MATERIAL-PADDING-/280834700778?pt=Tool_Boxes_Storage&hash=item41630d75ea is just an example. I usually get mine at Loews.  Soft, non scratch for the chassis/transformers, the small bits of solder/wire fall into the crevices, easy to grab tools off, easy clean up - lift and vacuum/brush off, and protects bench surface as well.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

4krow

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:24 AM
Now I've done it. I read your posts and the wheels are spinning...dammit

Offline caffeinator

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
While wandering Home Depot last night, I noticed that butcher block tops have become pretty common on their rolling tool chests.  Some appeared to be bamboo, which seemed especially dense and looked like it would be quite durable.  I have used butcher block before and it makes a great work surface.  I've already built the table up to near finished height, though, so I don't think I can add that now.

They did have cork flooring samples on display, and that looked great, but I didn't want to wait to order it.  The price wasn't bad, though, at about $2/sf.

Looking at the masonite, which was kind of beat up (a lot of the edges were damaged), I noticed they also had luaun underlayment for even less (about $0.65/sf). It is laminated, of tight, straight-grain veneers and about 5mm thick.  It seemed substantial enough to resist punctures and denting, but with a little bit of non-skid-ness like a butcher block would have.  I decided I'd try a layer of that with a coat or two of poly on it for stain and moisture resistance.  I am not sure if I'll glue it down or not, though I may as well, since my next choice is probably the cork, underlayment would be a good substrate.

I think if I was starting over, I'd try to find some hardwood butcher block material for all or part of the surface. I have a piece of cheapie butcher block that I'd planned to use as an extension table (for more room and for the inevitable time that most of the bench is buried with stuff), now I will start trolling the local Goodwill for suitable donor tables.