Semi-OT: Workbench Surface

caffeinator · 5602

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:57:47 PM
You reminded me of what we did for a large worksurface in our community shop some 8+ years ago when we were all moving in... at the time they were doing demolition to a local Mall and had huge slabs of the parquet wood flooring for anybody to haul off.  It was rough and jagged, had lots of nails and big staples in it and was probably 5/4" thick altogether.  We grabbed a piece with as many good edges as we could find and not much larger than we needed, then I spent a morning grinding off all the nails and staples that could not be pulled out, and then we put the monster on a huge table saw and trimmed it to size, built a base for it, (also out of scrap from the same demolition) and still have use it to this day, and it's taken a lot of abuse over the years and still looks great and is as sturdy as ever.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:07 PM
Jim,

I am for reusing material, and have done so many times. The problem is that my saw blades go to an early retirement more often than not. Twice this year, I have sawed part way through screws with broken off heads, LENGTHWAYS. "Ok, who's the next saw blade up for execution?"

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
hi again,  can anybody here say magnet first?  little ol' winedrinker here!!  don

4krow

Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 04:53:39 PM
I've never used a magnetic saw blade b4, but it's worth a try. So, does it like, rip the nails out just before they get in the way?

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 04:59:16 PM
no,  one uses the magnet to recon the situation before one heads out to purchase a new saw blade to replace the one just ruined by one's lack  of data.  hahahahahahaha!  pour another glass, don!!!!!!!!!