Method to the madness

Doc B. · 3079

Offline braubeat

Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 07:08:12 PM
I just got back from South America and discovered Pisco Sours, which I had several of tonight.

Anyway I have noticed a somewhat philosophical point that I think could be addressed. As your kits get more sophisticated and frankly better, they also become less accessible to experimentation. The kits you produce sound as good or better than anything available at any price, which is great. We DIY'ers are feeling a bit squeezed out.

Feeling good and saying more than I probably should.

Michael   

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:28:06 PM
It's a tough balance. But usually things move from the bottom up. That's why there is the Crack, and the Quickie - we do want to keep the bottom end accessible. But yes, SEX became the Stereo SEX (v2.0, now 2.1) and spawned the Paramour now Stereomour, and the original Foreplay became FP-III and now the BeePre - as we learn, and as the community experiments, the designs become more refined.

If you have an idea for a new entry-level product, let us know. We always have a couple on the back burner and we have NOT lost interest in this segment - our ears are open!

Mmmm ... I remember Pisco Sours at the Hotel Bolivar in Lima. I nearly died in Cusco (long story) but some great memories at this distance in time!

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:08 AM
Bottlehead is now producing a top of the line and the more basic DIY experimenters kits.  The Quickie at $100 is an amazing value that can be tweaked to our hearts' desire.  But I know that as the Bottlehead crew progresses with higher priced kits, there will be trickle down upgrades to the DIY price range.

Offline Chris

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:27 AM
I say, keep on refining....  Let me guess Paul, after closing the bar with way too many pisco sours, you went on a solo trek at 2 a.m.  thinking "I am going to find that damn lost Machu Picchu gold even if it kills me!??"......
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:03:51 PM by Chris »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:50 PM
Tube kits are great for simplicity. I havent had the Pisco Sours. Sounds dangerous though. For me the sour drinks are way too easy.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.