Confused by look of PC-3 component

Alfy · 1008

Offline Alfy

on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:02 AM
Hi,

I just started mounting my SEX, and so I’m having a look at the components for the first time. Now I know this is DIY, and it will take a bit of work, including painting, to make it look good, but the PC-3s look nothing like the picture on the shop website. There’s a lot of weird coloration, the material is metal but partially covered by some plastic with what looks like machine oil underneath... is this normal?

I want to add that on of the « legs Â» (the bases with the holes for the screws) on each of my PC-3 was completely twisted. The metal is soft enough that I just leveled it more or less with a pincer, but it makes me wonder if there may have been a bit of a problem with my order.

Cheers!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:31 AM
Transformers and chokes are dipped in varnish to insulate the parts inside and to help reduce any vibration that could cause a mechanical hum. The transformers are dipped and then put in a vacuum oven to pull some of the varnish inside. The varnish is what you see on the outside. You can sand it smooth if you wish, and paint the choke.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline slankoe

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:17:56 PM
Hi, what should I do if the varnish has chipped off? Unfortunately a good chunk has chipped off (leaving a spot exposed) during the construction phase. I didn't notice it and had put the amp down on the table, upside down while building a few times.

Thanks

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:24:57 PM
The varnish is only really important on the inside. For the bell ends and channel frame, just sand it smooth, wire brush it or wipe it off with a cloth and some strong  Soluvent . Just go easy...John

John S.