Ortofon 2M Black and Eros

shelby1420 · 3634

Offline shelby1420

on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:55 AM
Up until about a week an a half ago I had been using the Benz Glider "S" class low output( .4mv ) and a myriad of step ups and cables ( trying to figure out why when I turned it up to about 9 on the dial I would get this hum, after exhausting hours and hours trying to figure things out I decided to purchase the Ortofon 2M Black.  First thing I noticed was silence, thank god, any type of noise will drive me insane!!!  I gotta tell you I love this cart so far, superb bass ( better IMHO then the Benz) far greater separation of instruments and to my ears more realistic interpretation of each instrument!!!!   I find my foot tapping again and can't wait to play more vinyl, I have not been this excited about music since I had the Clear audio Maestro on my table!!!  Folks say that it takes a while for this to break in and that it sounds even better, lookin forward to that cuz it sounds friggin great as is!!!!!  System is:

Stereomour
Eros
Pro-Ject RPM 10--Ortofon 2M Black
Nordost cables.

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:21:09 AM
Hi Rick,

Congratulations!  I love hering this because right now there is a 2m black sitting in it's box and an Eros kit in it's box, both on my workbench as I get ready to dive back into the black discs.

Grufty also has this combination and others as well, or waiting to build an Eros.

Thanks for the post and yes, they are supposed to get much better after 50 hours.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline mchurch

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:46 PM
Hi Rick;

I am using the 2M black but with a Seduction and it is great. I have reached close to 30 Hrs and it still seems to improve. I think its great combination and dead silent!!!

Enjoy;

Mike

Offline grufti

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:09 PM
Three cheers for every new convert.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:03:20 PM
Damn, I want one of these bad!

But I think I'm gonna plunk down for the SEX irons upgrade first. Then I'll start saving... I think it can be had for about $550. Still expensive, but these responses make it seem well worth it.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:25:04 PM
Sam,

You were seduced by the words "dead silent," weren't you?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:16:36 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:15:53 PM
Well it has been two weeks since I mounted the 2M black on my Concept and it's still there. No immediate plan to re-mount the Maestro. It's not really that the black is a better cart. than the Maestro, but the sound sig. Pleases me more. It is quieter, have yet to figure out why that is. Can't wait to get the Eros kit, hopefully it will get here in a week or two. I am glad the 2M black mates well with the Eros.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline shelby1420

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:12:12 AM
Yup, love this cart, for the price I think its a very sweet deal.  I loved the Maestro, only minor little nag was the "aliveness" it was weak in, whereas the Black just seems to come alive and make me wanna tap my feet and listen to more tunes!!!! 

Enjoying the music

Rick