ANK DAC's

Happy Ghost · 666

Offline Happy Ghost

on: April 29, 2021, 05:45:24 AM
Hi,

I was curious about the ANK DAC kits. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am interested to know a bit more about the sound quality as well build effort. I am tempted to try out the latest 1.1x to tide over the Covid blues..

Thanks in advance!
Atul

Atul

Offline kcleveland

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 07:35:12 AM
Hi Atul,
I built and owned the ANK DAC 4.1 LE for a few years. It sounded fantastic and the build wasn't too involved. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron and wire strippers I think you'll be fine. I recently noticed the ANK instructions have also improved. Only reason for sale was "upgrade-itus".
Best,
Kurt

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 08:14:56 AM
I have recently built a DAC2.1 and I love it. The instructions are a bit obtuse and way to long but the build is pretty easy because
the chassis is large so the components are not jammed together.
As far as the DAC1.1 that was not available at the time I built mine. The only difference between the 1.1 and the 2.1 is the 2.1 has a regulated B+ supply and a dual regulated dc heater supply, The 1.1 does not have regulated B+ and a single heater supply.
I just found out about the 1.1 recently and have forgotten the price difference.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 08:31:30 AM
I just checked the website and the price difference is $100. I think I would buy the 2.1. If you live in the USA or Canada the price
includes shipping. At least mine did.
Also the site does not show the pictures of the 1.1 any more, it used to and I think they said it would be available in May, Perhaps
things have changed.
I am going to try and send you a message

Lee R.

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:05:10 AM
I am finishing the ANK 2.1.  Email or PM me if you have questions. 

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:24:29 AM
Hey Deb glad to hear you are close. Let us know your thoughts.

Lee R.

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 04:39:14 AM
Thank you all for your notes on the ANK DAC's. My interest is certainly piqued now :) Does the standard kit (2.1) also ship with the USB input board or do we have to pay extra for that. Apparently 2.1 can be upgraded down the road to 4.1. So that's also worth something... 

Atul

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 04:49:38 AM
If you want the usb board it's no extra charge because he will not be supplying the 3 pin digital input parts. but you have to tell him
that you want usb.

Lee R.

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 05:47:37 AM
Thank you Lee.. Btw there is a sale on the site now.. I think 10% off ... The stars seem to be aligning ... :)

Atul