New DMM for iPod/iPhone/iPad coming soon

Jim R. · 5476

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: May 10, 2011, 03:54:42 AM
Just wanted to post this here in case anybody is interested.  In early June there will be a new digital multimeter box that will communicate via bluetooth with your iDevices:

http://www.redfishinstruments.com/

The comparison with the Fluke is a bit silly since the fluke does a bunch of other things, but that aside, IMO this is just too cool not to give it a try.  I'll be reserving mine today.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:27 AM
Way cool, but $220.  I will save my money for a Fluke. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:25:55 AM
Yes, and I should have mentioned this, but did you see that it talks right out of the box, whether using VoiceOver or not?  $220 seems like a deal compared to my $650 talking DMM from Omega Instruments :-).

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:50:51 AM
I was thinking to myself, "Why would somebody need a talking DMM?" 

I should have realized since you are the one who originally posted the topic.  Sorry, wasn't thinking. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:27 AM
Actually, there are plenty of times when I was a woking engineer that a talking DMM would have been a godsend.  That's why Omega Instruments makes one -- definitely not for blind people.

True story, when I told the sales rep I was blind, he resused to sell the meter to me -- said it ws too much of a liaility issue (which is total BS for so many reasons I can't even list them all), so I just had a fiend buy it for me.

I suppose that he didn't realize that his company sold them wholesale to a couple of specialty distributors of assistive technologies for blind and vision impaired people.  Didn't buy it from those places as they typically add a healthy margin on.

Well, I've got one, and it is built like a tank, has some nice extras like IR temp sensors, capacitance measurements, and others I'm forgetting.

Funny thing is that Radio Shack used to make a talking DMM that was just part of their normal line, was $40 and was a very nice meter, but they stopped producing that model a long time ago.  I also have a little cheapie $50 talking meter that is workable, and also was not meant for blind users.  I use this one as my daily meter, especially when measureing high voltages as it would be a lot esier to deal with the loss of a $50 meter than a $650 one.

Point is that there are plenty of field applications where having a talking meter is a very nice thing.

-- Jim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:20 AM
was a very nice meter, but they stopped producing that model a long time ago.

Ahh, Radio Shack. They get truly innovative stuff every once in a while, and as soon as someone figures out it is cool they sell it out and that's that - the portable CD player with the SPDIF output, the little monitors with Lineaum tweeters, 97/3 tin/copper solder, that little 4" woofer everyone was fooling around with ten years ago, that planar tweeter they sold in the 80s, etc. etc.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:16 AM
Doc,

Yes, know what you mean.  I built a pair of speakers for my pickup back in the late 70s that used a really nice 4" woofer and a fabric dome tweeter they made at the time, and they turned out to be the best car speakers I ever made.  I even used them for a while afterwards on my desk and they sounded quite good even in the better listening environment.

BTW, I should point out that the voltage limit on this dmm is 300v, so not practical for some of the measurements in BH gear, though I suppose one could make some  2x probes or such.

-- Jim

Offline JC

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:10 PM
Jim, I can't tell you how many times a talking meter would have come in handy for me, especially in the field where it is often difficult to position the meter in my sight-line.  I usually find that I lose my place with one or both probes when I have to look away to the meter.

I don't remember the Radio Shack one; sounds like something I would have bought!

Jim C.