hope i got lucky today

sl-15 · 4801

Offline sl-15

on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:41 PM
i bought a whole bunch of test equipment today for a price that i could not pass up. i got a Tektronix 465 with digital multimeter DM43, RCA WA-44c Audio Generator, Sprague Tel-Ohmike TO 6 Capacitor Analyzer, a B&K 607 tube tester and two 75W 8.45 Ohm 1% Dale resistors. the scope came with test-leads and manual and everything seems to work. I paid $350 all together. i am wondering if somebody can shine a light on if this was a good deal.
thanks, stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:48:29 PM
looks like some interesting stuff. I would be overwhelmed with the thought that now I have to learn how to use it!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:16:28 PM
I think you got a pretty good deal.

It all looks well cared for and the scope alone would be worth it if it is in good working shape.  Track down the service manuals if you don't already have them and make sure they are calibrated and working to spec.

You certainly didn't get taken on this deal.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:28:30 AM
Stefan,

You are going to need a really big test bench now!  The oscilloscope is the ultimate volt meter.  It even shows how voltage changes with respect to time.  The capacitor checker is pretty big, it may need a table all its own.

The signal generator will be handy, just leave square waves alone unless you know their use.  They take an enormous amount of power compared to a sine wave.

I would say that the scope and signal generator were worth what you paid, the other pieces were free.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:13:50 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline grufti

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:55 AM
Great looking gear. I think you got a great deal.

Initially I would not even worry about calibration, but just keep an eye out for totally unexpected results. Tracking down service manuals is a very good idea. The net is your friend. Most are available for free.

Offline sl-15

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:24:36 AM
thanks for your inputs. grainger you are right i need a bigger bench now, for now it just forces me to clean up and make some room. i am a little overwhelmed with all the new gear that is right, but figuring out how these things work will teach me a whole lot about electronics repair which i am still trying to get better at. i found a ton of youtube tutorials on scopes and found the service manual already. so far i have only been testing the scope and so far it has been working fine. have not had the time to check out anything else yet, but i know the audio generator is working. grainger what do you mean by that square waves take an enormous amount of power? thanks

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:36:54 PM
Power is represented by the area under the wave.  In a sine wave it is pretty low on the average.  A square wave turns on in "zero time," stays at full power for the half wave then swaps to full negative power in "zero time" and stays there for the other half of the wave.

The power requirements are large.  You can drive an amp into clipping or a full "collapse" of the power supply with a much lower input using a square wave.

But the square wave does give you information.  It should not "ring," as it reaches the peak, it should be flat on top and the rise time should be darn near straight up and down.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:38:38 PM by Grainger49 »