DREMEL FAILURE

Guest · 7633

4krow

on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:36 AM
Recently, I bought a used Dremel on flea-bay, and after few uses, it simply stopped. Crap! So I disassembled to see what I could see. I'll cut to the chase, instead of a faulty switch, or the usual suspects, the trouble was a broken connection at the field winding. The fix was to unwrap one half turn of the winding, and reconnect at the post. I am sharing this because by using a meter and a little patience, it may be well worth your time to investigate one of the few tools left that you can still work on if it fails. Finally, good news for my troubled brain.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:24:02 PM
Bottlehead gear and dremel tools are some of the few things that can still be fixed if they break. 

Cool tip, Greg.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:29:33 AM
The Dremel does everything but hammer.  One of the best toys tools I have.

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:48:18 AM
yup,  greg can fix anything!  even if it's not yet broken.  this i know!  don

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:50:14 AM
I have a  battery powered Dremel, and everytime I want to use it the batteries are dead! I end up using my cordless drill! Doesnt spin as fast, but good torque!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:18 AM
Wow, and it isn't off balance now?

He said it was the field winding.  It doesn't rotate, except in the case of a real synchronous motor.  In a standard AC motor the field is the stator.  Regardless, 1/2 turn wouldn't imbalance an armature winding by much.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:35:09 AM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:29:12 AM
SURVEY SAYS,   FIELD WINDING!  runs like it is new, cuz i did the brushes too(each one of them is the same length  heh heh i just had to say it)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 12:27:41 PM
Greg - you should have slapped in a brushless. Hop it up to about 14V. Lipo. Water cooled. Sorry... I shouldnt be drinking this early in the day!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:35:13 PM
eric,  just go ahead!  works for me!  too early?  what's that?  don

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:51:45 PM
Lol! (hic)

Eric

4krow

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 02:33:23 AM
wait, you mean i can UPGRADE my dremy for performance? how much!?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:40 AM
Greg,

This is the AC version of the Dremel, right?  I wouldn't do it, but you can weaken the field to get it to go faster.  However, the torque is proportional to the field strength. 

Still, I wouldn't do it.

4krow

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 09:08:01 AM
Yah, that eric guy....I usually don't fiddle with a well engineered product. I would like to own a dremel type tool that has more torque. As of now, I own 3 dremel tools and a die grinder. The die grinder is WAYYY over the top for power! But maybe a Foredom type tool or something.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 11:24:09 AM
The Fordom tool is great. I find the Dremel a little hard to control, the one I have is much too fast. A few years ago I trash picked an old low speed dental drill, the belt driven kind with the articulated arms. That is the best ever and looks cool as well...John 

John S.

4krow

Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:26 PM
Well John, NOW you've done it. Time to shop for cool stuff again.