Voltage Readings

BelialApollyon · 524

Offline BelialApollyon

on: December 27, 2019, 06:30:14 AM
So I am at page 29 of the manual. I am attempting to check the voltage of the transformer but get no readings at all. I have checked my wirings multiple times and the are correct for 115-130ac. Power switch tests correctly. IEC test says 119v. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

Deke609

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 07:01:53 AM
Just some suggestions to get you started:

(1) Check that the fuse in the IEC isn't blown (and then remember to install it in the lower position - the top position is just a storage space for a spare fuse)

(2) The solder joint where the red wire meets the IEC looks a bit rough - I'd consider desoldering and cleaning it, and then resoldering it (with higher heat, less solder).  A few other joints looks like they might benefit from a do-over as well.

Also: you should really get those terminal strips properly installed on the transformer bolts. I believe the star washer and nut are supposed to go on top of the terminal screw attachment point.  And from your photos it looks like you are missing the black shoulder washers that separate the transformer from the top plate (chassis).

cheers, Derek

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 08:54:15 AM
I would start by removing the power transformer and mounting it properly with all the hardware we provide following all the steps in the manual. 

You can make many problems that won't go away by not properly mounting the power transformer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline BelialApollyon

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:44:41 AM
Damn I'm dumb. It was the fuse in the storage position. I moved it where it should be and all is going well

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 12:07:55 PM
Please heed PB's advice and remount the power transformer and terminal strips as directed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:09:56 PM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.