I Can Now Say Power Regeneration Works Well

Grainger49 · 9371

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 11:56:59 PM
I started thinking after I posted that the computer power supply probably wouldn't provide enough amps.  The inverter I found says that it is supposed to work with batteries (e.g., car battery).  Does a car battery provide 20 amps?  European batteries are rated for Cranking Amps, but I don't think that is the same.

Right, watts are watts, energy isn't free.  If you are going to get 250W out you will need to put that much plus the internal losses in.  Car batteries have both cold cranking amp ratings and also an Amp-Hour (A/H) rating.  That is if it is 200 A/H it will give 200A for an hour, 100A for two hours etc.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 09:29:12 AM
This was a fascinating thread that I would like to follow up on to see if anyone has tried the car batter with 12V to 120V sine wave inverter. It seems there are tons of these inverters around. I'm sure some are better than others. Here is an example of one from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-12V-DC-Input-220-240V-AC-Output-50Hz-Converter-Transformer/625561240.html

It seems to me that a deep cycle 12V battery would be more than enough power to provide several hours of casual listening. I guess it could be trickle charged at the same time. Not sure. Many thoughts, many options!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 10:06:50 AM
I'm betting not.  Inverters are very crude. 

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 10:12:51 AM
Yep, that would tend to be my thought as well. No free lunch. Just hard to put it to rest. I love batteries!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:49 AM
Inverters are much less crude than they were only a few years ago. No idea whether they are suitable for any audio application yet - but probably worth keeping an eye on the technology.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:37:57 AM
Ok, so someone should check this out.  As I have a regenerator already, someone else should step up.

Eric????

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:31 PM
Yes, thats exactly what I intend to do! I'm a cheap bastard! If I can have nice clean power for several hundred vs. several thousand then I'm on board. Its going to hard one for me though. I dont have oscilloscopes and the like that you guys have. I'm sure there are good objective measures for 'clean' power that should be very reliable. What would be interesting is to start with a low power, low cost set up and make some measurements/observations etc.

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:34 PM
A 200W inverter would drive an Eros, FP-2, a turntable, tuner and pair of Paramours.

At least it does in my system.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 09:01:53 AM
Maybe we should bug you fine Bottlehead folks to design a regenerator for us  8)

4krow

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
 I have owned PS Audio generators in the past. IMHO, the P300 was the best model that I owned. Not to say that PPPwasn't good device, but I had multiple problems with incoming power, and the PPP would get confused from time to time, and I could hear it clicking in the middle of the night for no reason. The new line of P3, P5, P10 are said to have less of these kind of complications.
  Remember folks, one of the greatest benefits of the PS regenerators is that they produce balanced power. The other wave shaping, and variable voltages are a great idea, but I found less effect from them as compared to the balanced power.

I ended up with a BPT device that has 5 separate secondary windings with faraday shields, and have stuck with it mostly due to the weird power problems in this area. It's harder to fool a transformer than a bunch of circuitry. That being said, I would still jump on a PS300 for $400 any day!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 11:25:27 AM
There is a well documented problem with PS Audio running the 100V DC bus caps at 120V.  (may not be the case in the P300 but is in the P500 and PPP)   

I have some bookmarks for caps I intend to put in.  With a paying job, I can order now.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
Its nice not having to beg the old lady for a couple of bucks!

Eric

Offline manis

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:50 PM
I can vouch for running a source off grid. The Ciunas DAC I'm using is powered by LifePo4 batteries: http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4cellspacks.aspx This provides a black background, good imaging and instrument separation.

One day I would like to get my amp running on a regenerator. I'm just not sure what will yield more results at the moment in my situation, more bang for the back: room treatment or power regeneration. I'm guessing the former.

Either way, I will follow this thread with interest.

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 02:24:52 AM
Its nice not having to beg the old lady for a couple of bucks!

It is more a problem of feeling guilty if I'm not earning.

My Ack! dAck! has battery power and I think it is one of the keys to the pleasing sound.