Classes

Doc B. · 12997

4krow

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:14 AM
Someday, maybe an intro to tubes online?

Offline Ebdain

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 10:53:42 AM
Building my S.E.X. amp showed me just how rusty my soldering skills were after 20-something years of non-use.  I would definitely be interested in spending a day building a crack/quickie/other in-house with you to improve skills.

I would also be interested in some sort of online circuit design or tube theory class(es).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:09 AM
Dan,

Well said.

G.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 03:41:10 PM
My brother in law and I would be in for the basic course. We live close enough to attend in person, which would be my (selfish, I know) preference.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:44 AM
Proper construction technique as in how to properly dress wiring for low noise, how to securely attach wiring connections, and the number one issue we always see, how to achieve a reliable and structurally sound solder joint.  Naturally in a class like this there are a lot of other little tricks and techniques to learn about wire stripping, proper torque for mounting parts, reworking and installing upgrades and mods, application of finishes, etc. Crack or Quickie would be ideal platforms to demonstrate those techniques.

These are things that one can teach and learn in a set time period to anyone, novice or advanced builder (yeah, I think I can even teach you old dogs some new tricks). As for a comprehensive "Learning to design amps" class that people so often ask for - I've been taking that class for about 21 years. I'll let you know when I think I have passed the course. We could probably cover some more focused aspects of such a design.

If I were local, I would love to take this class but Washington DC to Washington State is a long trek.  I've been trying to convince the family to take a trip from Washington to Alaska but haven't had any luck. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 03:35:41 AM
   .  .  .   yeah, I think I can even teach you old dogs some new tricks.  .  .  .   

I am on the house wiring crew for Habitat.  I really appreciate it when one of the crew gives me a new and efficient way to do any of the wiring.  I'm not an old hand at this, but I am becoming proficient.

I would appreciate it just as much, probably more, to learn new tricks in kit building and modifying.  Still the distance and cost of a plane ticket prohibits me from being in on this.  I'm just saying that old dogs appreciate a good trick.

Tkassum

Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 02:57:24 PM
Hi - complete newbie here. First time poster and brand new to tubes and DIY audio. If you do a class on that date I'm in. Flying in from Chicago. If I'm going to learn how to do this, I want to do it right.

Offline rjbond3rd

Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:08:43 AM
I live many states away, but would fly in for a class, as long as it was scheduled way in advance (e.g., a few months) so I could make the arrangements.

My personal preference would be to either (a) understand tubes and basic electronics, or perhaps (b) build the Stereomour.  Or something you folks come up with.  Thanks for doing this.  I've always envied those people who attended the VSAC class (I believe it was).

Offline aric

Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:07 AM
Hi- Im interested in both classes, I built a Quickie and could use more skills before I build the next kit.   

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 07:33:12 AM
I'd be interested in the 2 - 1/2 day classes - basic tube electronics and then a Quickie in the afternoon. Better not tell my wife though lol.

Aural Robert
... takin' care of business ...

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 08:44:31 AM
This is a bump to remind you that the deadline for signing up for the upcoming tube electronics basics class (including reading schematics) on Saturday, October 26th is this Friday, October 19th. The class is here at Bottleheadquarters and the fee is $35. Call Eileen at 206-451-4275 to sign up.

Oops, I just remembered that we will be off celebrating our 22nd anniversary on the 19th. Let's make the deadline Monday, October 22nd.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Give Eileen a call at 206-451-4275 or email her at queen at bottlehead dot com. The class will be from 1-4 p.m., this Saturday, October 27th. We will cover the basics of vacuum tube operation, how they work in various circuits and how to read schematics.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:06:35 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rjbond3rd

Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:52:51 AM
Hi Doc,

Is there even the slightest chance that a video of the class might be made for sale?  I realize it's not like being there, but I'd absolutely buy a video like that.  Even if it were $100, it would still be an amazing bargain from my perspective.

Offline Emanz1

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:26 AM
Ditto on the video or skype!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:10 AM
We are being deluged with phone calls to make this a webinar, video, etc. So we will, in the future! Let us get this first whack at this kind of in-house class down, and we will look to doing it again in a video format.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.