It's Alive

Tickwomp · 9407

Offline Tickwomp

on: October 25, 2012, 05:24:47 AM
If you can build audio gear, building a car is easy.  He's a shot of my baby moving under her own power for the first time.  I still can't wipe this stupid grin off my face:

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:13 AM
Very cool!  Is there a Cobra skin waiting to go top, or will it always be nekkid like that?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:20 AM
wow - awesome - nice sound!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:21:29 AM
wow - awesome - nice sound!

Sounds even better in person;-)

427 cubic inches of high compression testosterone! 

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:11 AM
427?  I can't get a good enough look in the pix to ID the motor....Side-oiler?

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:48:46 AM
427?  I can't get a good enough look in the pix to ID the motor....Side-oiler?

Displacement is 427 but done on the 351 Windsor "style" block.  Technically, this motor is called a 427w. 

Bore is 4.125 x Stroke 4.00.  Motor is a custom build on a 9.5 inch Dart aluminum block.  Forged pistons and crank, snotty cam, and Brodix STS 225 heads, topped with a Holley 850cfm carb.  When I get it broken in enough to put on the dyno, I'm expecting 500 to 525 ponies at the rear wheels.  More than enough to propel a 2200 lbs car due to a very favorable power to weight ratio. 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:54:50 AM
That is just awesome. Gonna need some very sticky tires, very sticky.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:18 AM
Amazing!

How hard is it to build one of these babies? Did you start with the full kit? I wonder how I'd get something like that registered in Mexico!

Please tell us more!!!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:30 PM
Nice work!  It has a great sound too.  I've heard a 427 Cobra and this sounds smoother.

I got a ride in a Supercharged S2000 today.  It is only 350 Hp in a 2700 pound car.  The stock car does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.  This is obviously faster. 

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:10:48 PM
Ken,

Sounds mighty impressive!  Is the body modelled after something I might be familiar with?  Something like a Chevron or original Shelby Cobra is coming to mind, but it's just a wild guess.

Are these typically built on some kind of donor chassis?

A very long time ago I was considering building a Sterling GT on a VW chassis and powering it with a 180 hp corvair engine, but life intervened and that never got further than acquiring the engine and tranny adaptor plate.

Hope you enjoy the new ride!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:01:55 AM
This is a Factory Five '65 Cobra Replica.  There's several ways to build, but I chose the non-donor, "base" option.  Basically received a powder coated chassis with a bunch of parts.  I installed all tubular suspension parts, high performance brakes, independent rear suspension, hot motor and tweaked gearbox. 

It's been a real hoot blasting around the neighborhood while correcting and adjusting things.  Definetly overpowered, but fun! 

To get it running I didn't spend alot of time or thought in wiring, just basically got it ran.  Now that everything is working, I'm redoing very carefully so as to make it permanent (and pretty).  Hope to get the car registered (legal) in time for Christmas, but will not get it painted until this Spring. 

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:08:46 AM
Ken,

Hah, so I guessed correctly on the
Cobra body.  Very cool!

I'm sure it is a blast!

Have fun with it,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 02:43:58 AM
Hey Tickwomp; Great choice. Here's a story about friend Thomas Long's Shelby Race car that sold for $2.3 Million last year.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/for-an-owner-of-a-shelby-cobra-a-bittersweet-return-on-investment/

He now owns a 1967 Ferrari 330GTC With V12 & 5 Speed Trans, completely restored and running the roads of Santa Barbara and beyond. I once drove a friend's Ferrari Rossa 6 cylinder between Ensenada(friend had inbibed too much) and Tijuana, before turning over the driver's seat to him, as the alcohol had worn off, and had only my learners permit at 17!

Love your car, but lust for something smaller and lighter, like a Lotus Eleven.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 05:18:01 AM
Hey Tickwomp; Great choice. Here's a story about friend Thomas Long's Shelby Race car that sold for $2.3 Million last year.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/for-an-owner-of-a-shelby-cobra-a-bittersweet-return-on-investment/

He now owns a 1967 Ferrari 330GTC With V12 & 5 Speed Trans, completely restored and running the roads of Santa Barbara and beyond. I once drove a friend's Ferrari Rossa 6 cylinder between Ensenada(friend had inbibed too much) and Tijuana, before turning over the driver's seat to him, as the alcohol had worn off, and had only my learners permit at 17!

Love your car, but lust for something smaller and lighter, like a Lotus Eleven.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Cool story!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 06:26:33 AM
Yep, at first sight of the wheels, pipes and rear frame, it just screamed cobra.... HAVE to say, it is sitting in the top 3 of my all time favorite cars.... just an absolute stunning car with an amazing history.. if someone here isnt familiar with the inception and history of the shelby... they owe it to themselves to look it up and do some readin..... Carroll's original test driver was Teddy Teabags from jolly ol england... haha... wow, Lee  Iacocca (Ford) literally gave Carroll a 'blank check' to develop a car that would beat Enzo at leMans....  Can you imagine how much fun that must have been for the Shelby team back then!! Just like rock and roll back then, things like that just do not happen today.... That kind of "free spiritedness" if you will..... I hope i am wrong, i hope that spirit is not lost.... I really dont think it is, it is just that accountants have taken alot of that "free spiritedness" hostage.....