My first negative feedback

johnsonad · 3893

Offline johnsonad

on: July 29, 2013, 05:09:14 PM
After 13 years on eBay I received a negative feedback today of which eBay refuses to remove.  Selling on eBay is a crap shoot at best.  I'm very tempted not to sell there again. Anyone else in the same boat or have a similar experience?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:10 PM
One neg in 13 years? Don't sweat it. There's always some who will decide to be dissatisfied before they even do the deal. I came really close last fall when a guy almost negged me because he bought a used smoking pipe I advertised as used and he was upset because it had been smoked...I certainly don't worry about buying from someone with several hundred positives and one or two negs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
I hate selling. I hate selling on ebay.

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:32 PM
Thanks for that Dan.

I feel you Xavier but during the summer it seems the only place to sell odd ball audio items. I've sold items on eBay in five minutes that sat on AA trader and other sites for a month. It works when you have an honest buyer but there is little protection as a seller.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:38:48 PM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:19:28 PM
Anywhere you buy things there can be hassles. I just did a great ebay deal, seller let me avoid shipping cost by adding local pickup to his shipping choices and offered to meet me halfway - drove half an hour to deliver the merch to me at the ferry terminal.

On the other hand the last guy I paid just got his dispute notice after no product, no tracking, and no reply to emails for two weeks.

It's just the way of the world.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:53:09 PM
I got one years ago.  He had used a business address as his home address and since he had not followed the ebay rules ebay removed his feedback.  I was the buyer and paid within 24 hours.  That is all a buyer needs to do.

Investigate the buyer and see if he is in violation of their rules.

4krow

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:13 AM
 Noy oh boy, we all got our stories, and I am no exception. It really ticks me off either way(buyer or seller) when you have been over the top honest,fast, and everything else, and the other party is either a nit picker or a downright dick. Your not alone here, and it seems to just be part of the game.

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:04:15 AM
You got that right 4K... and "It's just the way of the world" that is true also, and it SUCKS... I bought an item from a guy who prided himself on his 100% positive rating. However, when the (described by him on ebay and over the phone) PERFECT Grundig satellit 650 came with the amplifier section cutting out and the clock settings not working, I gave him the appropriate honest feedback.. The item was NOT as described, fixable yes, but the bidding went for top dollar due to the stellar description of the radio.. Well, the guy got all "pissy" and retaliatory just like a grade schooler amd subsequently gave me a terrible rating and said a bunch of ridiculous slams on my character.. My crime was believing him and paying promptly.. He was like in damage mode trying to slag me off as some loser just so he could salvage his precious rating... MORAL of the ebay story, the rating system is all a bunch of @#!@#$@%# bull!@#!@$@.... Well, cutting out or not, I decided to enjoy the radio for awhile (decided not to fix it), and then before moving overseas, I posted it HONESTLY on ebay, and the winner got the radio for $200 less than I paid... I have no regrets, because I really wanted to try the radio anyway and I did... And the buyer from me was quite happy when he received the radio because he knew what he was getting, I didnt... Funny enough, the ONLY negative feedback I received was as a buyer (because I was just being honest and didnt care about their unfair retaliation), and I have always got stellar feedback as an honest  seller...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:52:57 AM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:36:58 AM
4K is right, we ALL have these stories, and super sorry if I am too wordy about this, but I have another one you all may enjoy... I was moving back to the states from england and I wanted to sell a basically untouched (used the remote only) 2 year old, absolutely in brand new condition TOTL Denon home cinema amp/processor, UK model. I bought it new.. It was an awesome, beautiful, gold beast. Well, the ebay auction went well, and it was going down to 2 bidders, an Irish guy and an Italian.. I was praying that the Irish guy would win because the Italians are notorious for being dodgy on ebay.. well, the friggin Italian guy won.. We talked on the phone, he was a nice guy who had a shipping company and would send for my amp using his company.. I packed the amp up in the original "new condition" box and materials and sure enough, one of his guys arrived and collected the box.. well, I had moved to Orlando already, and it was 2 weeks later and I find out that Ebay had frozen the transaction of $1500, due to him filing a complaint that the amp was not packed properly and was quite damaged... So, I call him in Italy and ask whats up, and he is telling me , get this, that the amp is all broken up inside, even a transformer has been somehow pulled off the chassis??? , so I say, holy cow, what the hell does it look like on the outside?? and he says the cosmetics are FINE..hahaha.. He wants me to knock 50% off and we can call it good.. I tell him what a POS he is, then write a huge letter to ebay explaining everything, using the factory materials and the buyer using HIS approved shipping company etc.. and basically just what the hell is all this... and so finally the Italian guy calls again and says he can fix it all for 400 euros and would I want to help with 50% percent of that??  I said HELL NO!.. and that was that I guess, shortly thereafter, the entire funds were unfrozen for me to collect...Thank the Lord....  So, watch out for the foreign guys, they are all too aware that you cannot just hop on a plane and go kick some ass in person and that there maybe a chance that you will accept a further discount just to 1. get your money and 2. save your positive feedback rating.... He also ended up not even giving me feedback.. He probably just went ahead and hooked up and enjoyed his new MINT condiiton amp/pro thinking, Oh well, maybe the next guy will be a sucker......
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:55:57 AM by Chris »

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:48 AM
Not all "foreigners" act like that. I've had the exact same with buyers in the United States btw.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 06:59:06 AM
Yes, I have been ripped off by my own countrymen as often as people from anywhere else. But the point about distance being an issue is a good one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:40 AM
 Doc is the smart one here... Nobody can claim that their shipment was all broken up in pieces and even the "trannie is not on the chassis" type stuff  because it is SUPPOSED to be that way!! haha
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:16:11 AM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 07:08:38 AM
Yes, the US is 3,000 miles wide with 300 million, or so,  people, so the same thing can and does absolutely happen in the Land Of The Free... and I should make the obvious disclaimer, NO, I am not slagging the Italians nor any New Yorker who happens to have an Italian Grandmother...... done...  And Yes, Doc got it right, the point WAS about distance and the opportunity it can create for the dodgy thinker...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:14:12 AM by Chris »

4krow

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:45 AM
 I still have an un-cashed check for $5,000 from a scam on Ebay. I have others from similar creeps. The $5K check was an 'oversight' by his accountant, and I should cash it and return the rest. "Hey by the way, keep some for yourself to cover you inconvenience."he said. HA. 
  Then there are those that don't read the description even if faults are in red bold print. Lets see, what else, hmmm, don't forget to insurance in these matters. It may save some grief. UPS actually busted a Velodyne sub in two! No joke, I couldn't believe it! Even the magnet was detached from the driver. Worst of all, the buyer still plugged it in to see if it worked. REALLY? Do you walk into a house after a fire and see if the electricity is still so you can finish watching your favorite reality series too? You just got to wonder.

Offline Chris

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 07:18:17 AM
Yes, people don't read sometimes, I like to call and talk to the person myself, however, in the case of the Grundig, it did not do much good, he lied about it anyway.. He had to be using the "leverage" of the rating system. I am sure it is not the first time.. saying that the product is mint so it will sell for above value and then use the threat of bad feedback later... And since , in my case, the radio is fixable, he hopes, I will just fix it and be quiet... This is why I think the rating system should somehow be revised.. As of now, I think it is pretty stupid and inaccurate at best... That's just me I guess.... And again, so later, I sold the radio for the REAL, FAIR value of $200 less than I paid....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:25:21 AM by Chris »