HD650 and possibly speakers (in the future) - Crack or SEX?

JosephDuffy · 13734

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:21 AM
I live in Switzerland. DIY is not that much in fashion, so I order a lot here: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:34:12 PM
Only proper supplier we have in Ireland is Radionics radionics.rs-online.com , but for a majority of items they dont list i use Mouser and pay the $40 shipping charge.  You do get free shipping if you buy over $40 worth of parts so i tend to build up a big list of parts i need and order in batches.  Its a dangerous site to browse as you can easily end up with basket bloat.

I have also used Hificollective for audio bits and bobs http://www.hificollective.co.uk/ ,

M.McCandless

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:32 AM
I've taken a look over the various sites, but ended up finding something on Amazon through one the "recommended" sections.

If I don't get the cheaper one (from above: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Temperature-Soldering-Station-Iron-Kit-NEW-/120730956097?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c1c203141), I might get this (more expensive) one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004X25LW8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d2_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PZ994K76YKDAKCQCP2R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430153987&pf_rd_i=468294#productDetails

I've ordered the solder and the desoldering wick for now.

Again, on the multimeter, how's this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Digital-Multitester-With-Diode/dp/B000L0RINQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383599535&sr=8-2&keywords=multimeter It looks the same to the one I used in Physics, and should be useful for debugging?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:53 AM
The upscale soldering station looks impressive.  I would lean toward that one. 

The meter should do you.  A meter is a must for checking out the kit before turning it on.  Then you need voltage measurements when you turn it on.  So, you really can't do without one.

If you decide to go further with this hobby I always recommend a used Fluke meter.  If it is being sold for parts, you don't want it.  If it says working it is a good one.  But first you need to decide if this is for you.  Most guys catch the bug.

Good luck!

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:35 AM
How about Maplin, I know they are a big parts suppler to the U.K. Don't know if they sell tools though...John

John S.

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 01:20:25 PM
Right, I'll order the cheaper multimeter, the more expensive soldering iron (I'll hold off a day or 2, just in case).

Thanks for the multimeter recommendation. They're a little expensive, but I'm sure I'll get in to it more soon so I'll keep an eye out :)

I originally looked at Maplin, but their website is crap (as are most, by the looks of it), so I kind of gave up.

On the original topic: the S.E.X. Is there a way I can have 2 phono inputs to the S.E.X.? I'd like to have the options of having my PC soundcard and my turntable. No worries if not; it's just a convenience thing.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 01:50:59 PM
That solder station looks like a bargain, just be sure to pick up some spare tips, i tend to use a 2mm wedge tip for almost everything.

I was never a fan of Maplin, never have a great stock and the prices are always over inflated. Amazon or ebay are usually a better option.

M.McCandless

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 02:01:53 PM
That solder station looks like a bargain, just be sure to pick up some spare tips, i tend to use a 2mm wedge tip for almost everything.

I was never a fan of Maplin, never have a great stock and the prices are always over inflated. Amazon or ebay are usually a better option.

Yeh, the more I look, the better that deal looks. I was looking at extra tips, but I'm not 100% which to buy that will fit, so I'm going to either wait until I get it and measure/whatever to figure it out, or do a little research.

I'm also not much of a fan of Maplin for the same reasons. Ironically, this is sold by Maplin, on Amazon. Generally, yes, it seems Amazon or eBay are the best over in the UK.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:31 AM
I just have to say that I've always had very good service from hificollective, especially for a guy on the other side of the pond.

Also in the UK you can find a brand of soldering station called Soloman (spellig?) that is very good. I had one for the longest time and really liked it.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline JosephDuffy

Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
I just have to say that I've always had very good service from hificollective, especially for a guy on the other side of the pond.

Also in the UK you can find a brand of soldering station called Soloman (spellig?) that is very good. I had one for the longest time and really liked it.

HTH,

Jim

I took a look at Solomon, but I can't find where to buy these easily in the UK, so for now, I'll go with the station linked above.

Another thing I've thought of (it's starting to build up now!): Will I need a wirestripper? I've not added that to my shopping list yet

Offline caffeinator

Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:26 AM
Hi JosephDuffy,

A wire stripper is very handy, and I'd guess I'm not the only one here that has a few styles in their tool kit.  I have the automatic type (see link: http://www.datacomtools.com/store/45-292.html) which is handy for a lot of applications, plus a couple of lower tech versions (kind of like this one - notched jaws w/ some kind of diameter adjustment - http://www.datacomtools.com/images4/ideal/larger/45-101.jpg).

Some types work better with certain types of wire than others, though I do as much as I can with the automatic type.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 01:51:37 PM
I've bought a couple of different wire strippers and found most of them fairly useless for anything but heavy duty mains cable. They either mess up the insulation, or they break strands on multicore cable.  A simple box cutter blade has proved far more reliable for me, and creates a cleaner cut.  Unless your doing large quantitys of the same cable type and buying a decent quality tool they are not worth the effort imo.

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:28 PM
Joseph,

Look in the Tech Tools folder.  The second sticky down is a list of necessary tools for building a new kit.  Then it is followed by fun tools to have that are also useful.

Offline crackaddict

Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:17 PM
Hi all,

Late to the party here, but I have a question to clarify amp/headphone pairing before buying my step-up kit. I built my first kit, the Crack with Speedball, 6 weeks ago. I love it so much, that I now also want to drive loudspeakers with a tube amp. I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my Crack to a friend so I can upgrade to an S.E.X. 2.1, or complicate my home setup with two amps, the Crack plus a dedicated loudspeaker amp.

I use Sennheiser HD600s. It's clear to me that the Crack is designed for high-impedance cans, whereas the S.E.X. is always described as "versatile." What's not clear to me is: will the S.E.X. be versatile enough to drive my HD600s, or do I need to get lower-impedance headphones?

(Note, I've scanned the forums, and I really got a lot out of Loquah's detailed comparison on Head Fi! Thanks to this community for being so helpful and inclusive!)

Derek

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 07:15:50 PM
I worked with HD600s to determine the headphone playback character of the S.E.X. just like I used HD600s to judge the Crack's performance. Loquah's impressions match mine regarding the differences between the amps. S.E.X.2.1 is a very good headphone amp. I am using one at my desk with AKG K1000s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.