Pending Paramour Build

porcupunctis · 11445

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 03:03:37 PM
You can mount an IEC connector in the back of the wood base. attache the wires with spade connectors or make them long enough so you can lift the top off...John

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 03:08:10 AM
I'm with John, I have always thought the IEC would be best mounted in the rear of the base with stranded, pull from SO cord, connection long enough to allow you to flip the top for troubleshooting.

The square hole in wood is harder than it is in sheet metal.

Offline ssssly

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 03:33:08 AM
Can also modify the top plate for an IEC. Just drill out the corners of the square you want to cut and use dremel or small blade. Then you can use a file to fine tune. Most IEC receptacles have an overhang so you don't have to be medically precise to have it still look good.

Voltseconds web site has a treasure trove of Paramour stuff. I would strongly recommend giving it a read if you haven't already.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:56 AM
I think Paul described my mental state very well.  When I did software programming we called this "feature creep"  where we kept coming up with great ideas until we had designed something that could never be built.

So, I'm going to focus on building a really nice set of Paramour I's.  After all, this may be the last Paramour I kit left unassembled in the world. 

So my plan for now is this: 
1.  Use the Paramour bases that I have made.  I just ordered badges to make them look official. 
2.  I'm going to build (initially) a very close to stock kit.  This will make it easier to follow the manual and especially help with the mirror build.
3.  Still planning a mirror build.
4.  Instead of sending the plates off for anodizing, I'm going to polish one side of each.  I'm already about half-way there.
5.  I do plan on drilling a hole to mount the hum pot. 
6.  I will take Paul's advice on the magnet wire and use something that is easier to solder.
7.  I will find a place to glue or otherwise mount a fuse holder like Paul suggested.  The inline has to go. 
8.  I think I may also punch the driver hole out to accomodate the octal socket for future upgrades. 
Only because it will be a real hassle to try to do it later.  I've already ordered the hole shrinkers.

The following, I think I will defer for now:
1.  Iron upgrades.
2.  IEC mounting.

This will make a project that is true to the Paramour I design and still allow for some future enhancements.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 08:34:44 AM
Grainger, tell me how the hole punch works.  How badly can I mess up my plates if I get this wrong?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline howardnair

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 01:33:42 PM
the mirror idea sounds real fun--here is iec with fuse-they can be found cheaper elsewhere --i used these in my stereomour builds--
http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Furutech+FI-03+Gold+IEC+Inlet+wFuse+Holder/295/

howie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 01:37:53 PM
The hole punch is mechanical.  Look at this link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html

There are two circular hardened steel pieces that fit one inside the other.  You will already have a hole for the driver.  Place the smaller one on top and the larger one below the plate.  Insert the supplied screw and tighten till it just gets tension on the two.

The hole is going to be the outer size of the smaller, the inner size of the larger.  Position the knockout exactly and start turning the hex head with a ratchet wrench.  The top will bend a little but it can be straightened easily.

It is easy to tell when it is through. 

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 10:08:57 AM
Status report;

I've secured a hole punch locally.  I live in one of those neighborhoods where everyone has some kind of shop in their garage.  Woodworking, metalworking, glassworking, you name it and someone on my block has the tools. 

Grainger, thanks for the offer on the hole punch. but I have a question.  How do I orient the holes for the socket hold-down.  Should I drill them parallel to the long side (like the 2A3 socket) or parallel to the short side (like the original)? 

My goal is to do the assembly and build over the long Thanksgiving weekend.  I have a lot of work to do on the chassis plates but I think this is a manageable goal. 

The Volley ball team at the HS I teach at is going into sectional play (at home) for a chance to go to state finals.  They are 32-0 and a lot of them are in my Algebra II and College Algebra class.  I also coach Cross-Country and our Districts are the same weekend.  I'm thinking that this won't be the most productive weekend but it will sure be fun to see these kids compete. 

On another note:  I sent my Crack and Seduction plate off to be anodized today so that will be another topic in the near future.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 03:04:24 PM
The following progress has been made:

1.  The driver tube socket hole has been enlarged to accomodate a future 76 update.  The hole-shrinkers have been ordered and I expect them any day.
2.  Holes have been drilled for the hum pot and a fuse holder.
3.  Chassis plates have been polished to an almost mirror finish on mirror sides.
4.  Wood bases are ready to go.

I have been given the gift of time.  Our girls VB team won their sectional tournament and are off to compete at State this weekend.  As a consequence, school will be letting out on Thursday at noon and we'll have Friday off as well.  I haven't had a chance to do anything cosmetic with the iron but I think I might go ahead and do the build while I have some days off.  The output transformers will probably get upgraded anyway and I can do the cosmetics then.  Maybe by then I will have figured out what I want to do with them, anyway.

More later,

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 04:06:49 PM
Grainger, just ordered a set of Obligatto caps for the Paramours.  2 - 0.1 mfd and 2 - 3.3 mdf.

I just have to try them out after you've spoken so highly of them.  These will probably go in after the initial build so they will represent the very first "upgrade".

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline vladimirwolfe

Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:05 PM
Hey Randall,

I just wanted to let you know that there's a least one other "virgin" Paramour I out there and it's in my closet. I even have the iron upgrade. Hoping to build it this winter if the skiing isn't any good ;-)

Good luck on your build!

Doug

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:13 AM
Randall,

October is over so the Halloween avatar is retired for another 11 months.  Under my present avatar is my mantra.  I DO appreciate the high priced spread, Mundorf Silver/Oil, caps in my Foreplay but I get a kick from bang-for-the-buck finds like the black Obbligato and KK Teflon caps.  I wasn't the source for either of these on the BH forum originally but I'm a supporter.

In my past experience only one Bottlehead hasn't liked the black Obbligato caps.  But we all have different tastes.  I found them smooth and clean.  The bass is good, I'm finding out how good now with the Eros.  I admit it was a point of running out of funds when I bought upgrade iron that drove me to the Obbligatos.  I needed a 10uF parafeed cap and they were suggested.  At the time they were $8 each so it was an easy decision.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 04:25:34 PM
I ended up with the "Gold Premium" Obbligatos.  I didn't see the "black" variety.  Just checked again.  They were still a good price compared with others that I checked out.

Those caps can sure add a lot to the price of your kit.  I was pricing come big caps for my eventual Crack build and "Hoo Doggie!" those babies are expensive.  Dock wasn't kidding when he said you can double the price of the kit by upgrading the caps (or something like that).

I worked on the Paramours tonight.  I was able to get all the hardware assembled except the driver tube socket.  I'm still waiting on the hole shrinkers and I just found out that they shipped today.  This means that I will not be able to complete the build until next weekend.  That's OK, I have other projects to work on.

Grainger, where can I get a good set of 76 tubes?  Do I need a matched set?  I did order the 5 pin tube socket so it will be here.  I don't plan on converting to the 76s right away but want to have everything on hand when I do.

Doug, that's awesome.  Not sure whether to wish you bad skiing weather or not.  Looks like you'll win either way.  I'm enjoying my build so far.  Maybe too much, in fact.  I like to enjoy this phase of it because I know it will pass and then I will have years to enjoy the results. 

I will try to get some "progress" pictures up this weekend.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:11 AM
The best 76s I ever bought were from Tube World.  No, they don't need to be matched.  As a matter of fact you can buy singles pretty cheap.  When you buy a pair the price triples.  So buy up some singles.  I have run mismatched, by manufacturer, tubes with no problems if the tube didn't have a problem.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:09 PM
The Paramours have come to life and are currently driving a nice hi-Rez version of Dark Side Of The Moon through the horns in my listening room.  Nothing "broken-in" yet but they sound fantastic.  I haven't even installed the Obligattos yet.  I will have to pick those up at the UPS facility on Saturday.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting back and really enjoying the Paramours.

I know I've been promising pictures for a while now, but this weekend looks good for a little photo-shoot.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics