SR45 amplifier

debk · 104144

Offline debk

on: June 04, 2012, 07:54:55 AM
I am thinking of building the SR45 amplifier from the schematic that is posted elsewhere.

Are the boards that were used in the upgrade kit still available?  I can get the components elsewhere, but I would prefer not to have to design boards for the project. 

From what I have read this was a fantastic sounding amp.  How does it compare to the Paramounts modified for 45's

Thanks
Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:08:45 AM
I haven't done a 45 Paramount. There would be the advantage of direct coupling over the original SR45 however it wouldn't have the shunt regulated output stage. So it's hard to say which you might like better. I'm thinking it might be possible to do an SR45 on a Stereomour chassis. If it's feasible and there is enough interest perhaps we could do another limited run for advanced builders who don't need dot to dot instructions (we can't justify taking many man hours to write a step by step manual for a product that we might only make five or six copies of). At any rate, yes, I'm sure we have PC boards that could be used for the purpose.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:52:18 AM
The original SR45 used the PT-2 power transformer, long since out of production. That transformer had the 2.5v heater winding.

I always thought that the refinement of a fully shunt regulated 45 amp was compromised by the hum from the AC heater supply. I do have sketches and notes in development for a more modern version with DC heater supply. The critical PC board is the current source feeding the shunt regulator, and I am revising the Crack Speedball board to cover such an application (and to use a slightly larger heat sink). That board should be in production in a few months if things go as currently planned. This summer looks like a good time for prototyping!

In both designs, the driver is cap-coupled. At the time, we thought (and I for one still think) that the advantage of shunt regulation is greater than that of direct coupling, especially if you are using really high quality coupling caps (teflon V-caps are I believe still at the top of the list). Direct coupling pushes the power supply voltage higher, to beyond the ratings of currently available the solid-state components in the shunt reg and current source. At that point, the safety issues get really hairy too, so I haven't looked into the necessary re-design issues.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:36:25 AM
Small correction - Eileen has just advised that the PT-2 can be had, for a price, in small quantities.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:13 AM
Sounds like this could happen :). Hopefully we can keep the interest up!

Aaron Johnson

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:42 PM
If I were to build this I would like to do it with DC heater supply.  I am sure I can get a power transformer from the usually sources or have one wound that will work.

I am in no hurry, having just built a pair of 300b DRD amps,  but am  I am interested in getting a couple of the boards when you have them available.

Thanks

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:15 PM
The version I built, single chassis and power supply, like a Stereomour. As to hum I use AC and  have inaudible hum. I centered the hum pots when I wired them up and have never needed to adjust them.

One thing I did. 2.5V transformers were out of stock when I built mine, so I took a 5V Hammond with a center tap and did a little surgery. turns out it is 2 separate windings, joined at one end to make the tap. I separated them to make 2, 2.5V windings on a common core. not sure if this bucks the hum or not.

I would try AC first, unless you have 100db speakers, I don't think you need it           

John S.

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:09 PM
I will most likely be using these with Orca's

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline xcortes

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:44 PM
I'd be interested either in PT-2s or complete Paramour kits to be built as SR45s

Xavier Cortes

Offline debk

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 01:51:59 PM
I too would be interested in the transformers

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:36 AM
Debra,

I'd go with the AC filaments on the Orcas -- you should hear nothing like hum from  that pairing.

In fact, I'll test it out for you here as soon as I have a preamp as I just unboxed my SR-45s this morning.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline debk

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:14:04 AM
I'd be interested in your thought on how it sounds

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
I just measured mine, I have less than 2mv at the outputs with the input shorted. How much less, is hard to say. I didn

John S.

Offline debk

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:36 PM
I didn't know that was the amps we were listening to.  Very nice sounding amps

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:46:47 AM
To measure small levels of hum, I twist the meter leads together - it minimizes pickup of magnetic fields, typically from the power transformer but they are everywhere in a modern house. Ideally you would use coax.

Paul Joppa