Follow-up on the Vietnamese Crack...

Guy 13 · 13398

Offline Chris65

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 12:01:49 AM
Hi Chris65. (Does the 65 in your nick name means you were born in 1965?
No need to answer, but if you don't answer my curiosity will be...
Well you know.)

Ahh, no. 65 is just a random number I use for many web things (not sure why I chose it many years ago).
Actually born '61.
Good to hear you liked the Beyers. I have the DT-990 Premium 250ohm, & like them, although I don't do a great amount of headphone listening. I got them from Amazon a few years back for $180, so your $212 is probably not unbelievable. (they are the Premium? not the cheaper Pro's?)

All the best, Chris

Offline Chris65

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 03:07:28 AM
Not that sure of the differences myself, the Pro's are cheaper. lighter & look different - different headband, cable, earpiece covers.
The tech specs are the same. Info can be found on Beyer site.
Pro: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-990-pro.html
Premium: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-990-edition.html

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 05:43:56 AM
Guy,
It's been a pleasure to read thru your adventures in search of a headphone system.  Seems to have ended well.  I also own a Crack/HD650 setup (2 actually, I built one as a preamp/headphone amp) and I tried as many headphones and amps I could find in the San Francisco area.  After replacing the foam ear pieces with hose and replacing the cord, the HD650's settled in nicely.  I hope yours do the same.

You have much to go thru for the turntable/phono pre search, lots of variables, combinations and choices to get to good vinyl sound.   I'm on that adventure now, having banished my Seduction to the garage for poor performance (happily blaming the equipment instead of the builder since I built it and I can't figure out what is wrong with it).  I look forward to your perspective and reviews.

Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:27 PM
Here's a link to all the modifications I've tried.  I settled on getting a pair of nylons at CVS and replacing the front (inside) foams.  https://www.head-fi.org/t/561234/sennheiser-hd-650-mod-compilation.  I've got a pair of mahogany cups but I haven't tried those yet.
The cable is just a Cardas upgrade from Music Direct:  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3724-cardas-hd650-upgrade-cable.aspx. I need to have a longer one made and there's a bottlehead member that makes cables.

My Seduction just doesn't sound as good as the cheap DJ Pre phonostage I picked up to hold me over while I was working on the seduction.  The Seduction is grainy and vocals sound as if the singer needs to clear there throat.  I will probably get around to troubleshooting it.  It dropped down to the bottom of the "to do" list though.
I've considered buying a Reduction or Eros, I'd have to listen to vinyl a lot more to justify the Eros cost and then I would have to wait on delivery.  That would be terrible.  I have an attention issue and the delivery time for BH equipment drives me crazy.

Have you tried plugging your Bellari into a separate outlet from your turntable and amp?  My Seduction had hum until I figured out the ground loop from the outlets in my den.  I ended up with the amp separate and the turntable and Seduction plugged into the same outlet, but I had to remove a lamp that was on a wall switch.
Alonzo
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Mach2

Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 06:47:14 PM
Hi Guy 13,

Your story is amusing to me since it's more or less my experience when I came back to Vietnam after 10 years living abroad. I thought my adventure into the audio world stopped then, until I went to those shops making friends. This hobby is all about to meeting people and trading/upgrading your gears and the community is part of the game. There is a huge headphile community here, if you're willing to look for them.

Speaking of your combo, the Crack/HD650 is a mighty one and is pretty close to the headphone nirvana IMHO. Compare it to a Stax system of course is not a fair fight. I have yet to experience a good Stax system long enough to make out how much it's better than the Crack/HD650 but I think from here, moving up the ladder get you very small improvement for what you have to pay for and is more of a "gain something, lose something" experience. Chance that if you replace your HD650 by something else you'll quickly find out the cons of your new system and will start to look for a new upgrade. This hobby never stops until we find our peace of mind or until our wallet is absolutely destroyed, whichever comes first.

Drop me an PM if you want to make yet another friend here in this noisy, crowded yet charming city.

-PH-

PH

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:43 PM
It is a fact that the Crack is optimized for 300-600 Ohms heaphones,
however, it can drive load down to 60 Ohms.
I tried my Sennheiser HD570 at 60 Ohms and they sounded good,
except for the bass that was not too good.
Muddy, no impact, not natural, not really listenable...
You are kind of contradicting yourself.  This is the exact reason that it can't drive loads down to 60 Ohms.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 04:24:41 AM
Hello Guy,

I don't mean any offense.

There's just the opportunity for people to read that the Crack works well with 60 Ohm headphones, when in fact there will be a great deal of distortion and bass rolloff, which are not the ideal circumstances under which to judge the circuit.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 05:09:51 PM
Hi Guy, Speedball is the name of the mod. I thought you had it already, it may be what you are looking for.

Your descriptions of life in Vietnam, come across as anything but boring...John   

John S.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:30 PM
Guy,
No offense taken. It seemed like a typo, and I know English isn't your native language. I always put a note in when I edit someone's post to keep it all above board (and I generally prefer to not edit posts when avoidable).

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:07 AM
Guy,

It only counts, to you, what the sound sounds like to you.  What it sounds like to anyone else doesn't matter.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 06:19:12 AM
I'm an engineer, I was briefer.

But you got it!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 07:30:24 AM
I feel positive Shakespeare would have said.

To mod or not to mod that is the question!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:22 AM
I think this is a very nice thread.
It is like a travellers chronicles with letters home.
Very involving.
Should have a theme song.

Something like "Speedball! Ta da dum..."

But seriously, I think I have read every one entry and can almost feel how
hot and damp it must be in Vietnam. I have sadly only been to Malaysia.
Guy, I am cheering You on in Your quest for The Sound.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 06:10:05 PM
Thank You very much for the offer.
I reside up here in the Fjords of Scandinavia, however
It would make a very long flight.
Hope You find the sound You are looking for.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:21 PM
Hi all.
The other day I met a nice Vietnamese guy via the Bottlehead Forum.
He owns a Crack headphone amplifier like mine, but his, as the Speedball up-grade
and one day, hopefully before I die, he will come to my house with his amplifier
and his (Expensive and heavy - 18Kg) Sonic BG NFD or B DAC unit.
He told me that his up-graded Crack will make my Sennheiser sound less veiled and dark.
I am very anxious to hear that with my own ears.
I have a tendency to not believe people, only believe my own two 66 years old ears.
If the Bottlehead Speedball up-grade makes my HD650 less dark,
I could be saving about 275 USD. (400USD for the HD600 and 125 USD for the Speedball)
But, I will stay put until I hear his Crack.

Guy 13
Hi Mr.Guy,

Haha, I promise I'll bring my Crack to your house in a very near future. No worries. Stay tuned!

Warm regards,
Kratos.