Power-supply painting question

ArtnShit · 1239

Offline ArtnShit

on: February 02, 2022, 11:15:09 AM
Hi All,

Just cracked open my newly arrived Kaiju kit. Finished the Beepre2, so the timing was pretty perfect.

I am going to paint the bell cover of the PT-9 with Rustoleum, as I did the PT-9 of the BeePre2. While unpacking I was looking at the PC-5's, and it got me wondering if there was a way to remove the side bell covers, so I could give them a paint job. Is that possible? Additionally, the metal band going across the pc-5 is covered in a waxy and sticky residue. If I take that off with some acetone, will that be detrimental in any way?

Thanks!

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 11:57:33 AM
You definitely don't want to try to take those apart.  You can certainly sand on the metal covers and just paint over them, but if you take them off you could disturb the air gap in the choke and they would have to be replaced.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 03:36:49 AM
You can paint the choke covers by carefully masking off what you do not what painted.
Carefully clean/sand the covers prior to applying any paint or clear coat.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 03:50:26 AM
Amazing! Thanks for the advice, I will try this today.

As for the gunk on the top center band of the pc-5, would it be ok if I lightly cleaned that with acetone, or would I need to cover it in something else afterward? Attached is a pic for reference.

a&s

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 04:17:37 AM
The residue on the channel frame can be removed. The frame appears to be steel, which will rust quite readily unless coated with something, so you'll want to apply paint or some other coating. Depending on conditions, that can start pretty quickly once the metal is bared, so take that into account in planning your project.

As for what takes that residue off, I've usually sanded them. However, the residue has usually seemed to me to be something like dried varnish, as opposed to something waxy. If you use a solvent, definitely use it sparingly and be sure none gets inside the choke.

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:34 AM
I used acetone on a rag to clean those parts.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 05:08:22 AM
Just gently sand the channel frame till it's mostly smooth.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 05:20:39 AM
Thank you for all of the advice! I am lightly sanding the banded area then going to paint that, leaving the bell covers clean. They have a much cleaner finish, so might as well not mess with it.

a&s