Isolation Transformers

Tim G. · 5928

Offline Tim G.

on: April 05, 2010, 05:38:36 AM
I recently aquired some Tripp Lite Isolation transformers and was wondering if they might be of any use in my Bottlehead system?  Could these be used to help seperate my digital sources from the analog?  Anyone have any experience using anything like these?

Thanks

Here is what I have:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=230

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:19 AM
Certainly can't hurt, so try it and let us know the outcome.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:18:37 AM
It is always worth a try.  I have my analog and digital fed from different circuits.  Each are on different phases of the incoming power (sequential breakers).  That places the impedance of the distribution transformer between my digital and analog equipment.  Putting an isolation transformer in your system is easy, easier than running separate lines, and quick to determine if it sounds better.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:14:37 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:49:26 PM
Topic Bump:

I see that there's two models for the same price on Amazon. One is a 500 watt Hospital Grade, the other a 1000 watt standard. Would the Hospital Grade model have cleaner power than the standard model? I expect it may just come down to the quality of the outlets on the unit. Also, would four pieces of Bottlehead gear be able to max out a 500 watt power supply?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline JC

without seeing specs on the units in question.

But, you can get a fair approximation of what gear you can run by just adding up the values of the individual fuses.

500Watts is good for a hair over 4 Amps.  1000W about 8-1/3A.

Jim C.

Offline Tim G.

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:32:42 PM
From what I understand I think the hospital grade does refer to just the medical grade outlets and plug and possibly the overall shielding of the unit.  I don't think it would really affect the overall performance much in this application, but the medical grade plugs are nice in my opinion.  I forgot to report back to this thread after tinkering a bit. 

I tried everything from one iso transformer on each piece of equipment to just everything plugged into one.  The most noticeable results I had were just the source from amp separation.  I settled on the digital (dac and cd player) on its own iso-transformer, amps and preamp on another.

When I had each component on its own transformer things sounded a little sterile, not sure the reasoning behind that.   But getting the digital separated made a nice improvement.

Thats my .02 !

Tim 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:29 PM
I was at Paully's house last week.  He has Paramounts, an Eros and a Foreplay all run on a PS Audio P500.  It displays the power on the front.  It runs between 185-187 watts continuous.  The turn on surge is a little higher.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:15:27 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:01:10 PM
Here's the model I'm lookin at.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=839&txtModelID=228

I wonder if each outlet is isolated from each other so that any noise a piece of equipment introduces into the AC is filtered.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline electrovice

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:52 PM
There is an eBay seller with a pile of medical grade iso transformers for sale. He sells them individually and in small lots. They are smaller volt/amp units but at $15 each, the price is right for experimenting.  I have a few in my stash. They seem to be quality items.

A link to an auction is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Medical-Grade-Isolation-Transformer-100-132v-100va-/390094280203?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad36e560b

I have no relationship with the seller. I trust that Doc B will have no trouble with me posting this.

John

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:21:51 AM
Here's the model I'm lookin at.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=839&txtModelID=228

I wonder if each outlet is isolated from each other so that any noise a piece of equipment introduces into the AC is filtered.

Looking at the description it mentions filtering on the input and output but nothing for each outlet. 

Offline Tim G.

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:41:47 AM
In my TrippLite IS500-HG the outlets are all wired together.  FYI

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:42 AM
That answers it. I don't think any good audio gear puts out a really noticeable noise in the power, I'll just be sure not to run my vacuum cleaner on it while I'm listening to music.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:20 AM
That answers it. I don't think any good audio gear puts out a really noticeable noise in the power, I'll just be sure not to run my vacuum cleaner on it while I'm listening to music.

Can you listen while vacuuming? 

Offline Tim G.

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 06:23:59 AM
You can also think of it the other way around, keeping the noise from the power getting into the audio equipment.  (hey, you got your line noise in my audio equipment, no you got your audio equipment in my line noise!)   I have a housefull of all sorts of electronics that I'm sure cause some line noise.   

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:00 AM
Seriously, as opposed to the vacuuming thing, look at my reply #2.  

The transformer Maxwell_E linked has incoming filter for noise that might be on the line and output filtering for some things that get through the transformer or are going to be passed back into the line.  Not a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:17:51 AM by Grainger49 »