Cat 5e cable, what to do?

pro_crip · 3192

Offline pro_crip

on: July 17, 2010, 02:04:15 PM
I got my hands on a spool of a coupla hunnert feet of cat 5e plenum rated cable. What can I do with this stuff? I think there was a design for speaker cable at venhaus made from this but other than that, I don't know what to do. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline ssssly

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 03:13:26 PM
Makes a decent braided speaker cable. Also makes decent interconnects. Have also used it for signal wires in gear with good enough results that it has stayed in for the past 3 years.

Is also good for tying things up with. Very durable and strong.

Offline rewind67

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:24:57 PM
Cat 5/5e/6 can make good interconnects; various recipes floating around online.

I've made my own versions of these IC's (using Belden 1585A): http://www.deadwaxcafe.com/vzone/wires.asp

DL-103 > TP13A > TD-150 MkII  > DIY Cinemag SUT > C4S Seduction > S.E.X. 2.0 w/upgrades > Pi 2 Monitors  |  Sennheiser 595  |  Akai GX-270D  |  DIY Canare/Belden cables

Offline pro_crip

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:47:35 PM
Thanks rewind, making a whole mess o'interconnects is right up my alley as I'll (eventually) have a whole system to wire up. I spent the day sanding, time to reward myself with some whiskey.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline VoltSecond

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:52 PM
I made a cat 5 speaker cable a long time ago. I liked it.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteswithstyle.com%2FVoltSecond%2FCAT_5_speaker_cable%2F4_braid_left_1_33.jpg&hash=fd169eac82ed23a61d2860327b77e8496fbce092)

Here's my notes on building one.

http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/CAT_5_speaker_cable/CAT_5_SPK_CABLE.html

Cat 5 interconnects work well too. If you run the cat 5 in clear tubing, it enhances the look and feel of the cable.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:51:08 PM
You could wire your house,

That

John S.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:03:14 PM
I made the ven haus  speaker cable last year.  Sounds really nice, but looks even more impressive. It was quite a project though, gets your fingers strong.  CAT5 is four twisted pairs of teflon jacketed which makes it a good wire for many things, pull pairs out.  I made Ipod line level audio out connectors this weekend. Sounds GREAT on my crack, listening right now.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:16:45 AM
Just one note -- if you're using the cat-5 plenum with the bonded twisted pairs, you'll want to use a length of one color pair for your ICs as each pair has a different number of twists per inch and hence a different capacitance.  With the loose pairs you can always twist them to what you want, but it's still easier to get things more uniform by twisting a single wire and taking both pairs out of that one pair,.

Probably doesn't matter on a speaker cable though

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:32 PM
For speaker wires I took 3 lengths and striped the jacket off. Now chuck one end in a hand, or low speed drill. And as your trusty assistant  works the drill, grip the wire at the chuck and guide them into a nice tight rope twist. This is actually easy as with just a little help the individual pairs will lay down on there own. Just keep a little tension away from the drill and let the twisted rope run through your fingers as if it was a threaded rod.  It

John S.

Offline ssssly

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:35 PM
My favorite is a flat braid of four twisted pairs. Twist the pairs together as described above. Then take four pairs and flat braid them http://www.virtue.to/articles/braiding.html . Separate the positives and negatives and terminate. Keep in mind that for most cat5 you will need about twice to three times the length you want the finished product to be. 

Have also had good results with a multiple braid. Twist you positive and negative pairs together. Then do a regular braid of three twisted pairs. Take four of those and box braid them. This version seems to have more noise rejection for longer runs while the first method I described seems to have a cleaner sound for runs 6' and under but then seems to pick up more noise on longer runs.

If anyone else has a favorite recipe would love to hear it.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:34:18 AM
Approximately what AWG would you say the flat braid of 4 pairs creates? that looks a lot more attractive than spending hours doing the 27 Pair VH design.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:06:00 AM
If I'm reading them correctly, that would be 4 ropes of 4 pairs , and because you're only using one wire per pair per leg, that comes out to 16 strands per leg, and 16 strands of 24 awg is 12 gauge.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)