Where to get headphones repaired?

Jim R. · 1641

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: July 19, 2010, 01:44:44 PM
I've got a pair of Sennheiser PX-100s that I use all the time with my netbook so I can hear the speech synthesizer, and after nearly 3 years of daily use the connection at the minijack seems to have broken for one channel.  I'd just go out and get a right angle 3.5mm stereo plug, but the tiny size of these wires is a bit daunting.  Is there a place one can send these for retermination for cheap?  These are the best lightweight cans I've ever had and while I don't want to buy another pair I also don't want to spend a fortune for a new connector.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:37:44 PM
Amazon has those new for $45.
I could fix the cable for you but with shipping and stuff it would probably be $15,.. so I'd just go for a brand spankin' new pair for another $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Collapsible-Headphones/dp/B000089GN3

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:45:32 AM
Steve,

Ok, thanks for the link -- think I'll buy one from amazon and then try to fix this one.  Looks like the model I have has been replaced by the new one -- the series II -- and some of the review comments give me pause as the ones I have seem ideal for what I use them for, and the hard case is a definite plus, where the new model only has a soft pouch.

I also remembered last night that there is a local pro gear shop where I used to buy my studio gear and their tech can probably do it for me for the cost of the connector.

Appreciate the offer though,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:47:57 AM
Jim,

I was going to say that an audio shop might be a good place to get the headphones repaired, maybe an electronics repair station?  Your Pro Gear place would probably be even better.

Good luck,