Free is my Favorite Flavor

Maxwell_E · 1705

Offline Maxwell_E

on: July 30, 2010, 05:58:55 PM
I got some really cool stuff from work today. I am a "Lab Assistant/Undergrad Technician" (read lab grunt) at the EE Design lab in the Physics Dept of my school. Which means I get to play with, fix up, and tear apart a lot of cool old equipment, and then my boss lets me take the "junk parts." Past spoils have included a NOS GE 6080 tube (for the inevitable Crack addiction). But today I got to take home some really cool pieces. First is a 3kV DC Power Supply rack-mount chassis. I had to gut it at work today and as soon as he gave it to me I thought "I'm gonna put a Stereomour in that." It's 3U high about 15" deep, and only needs a little lovin and some poof-can primer to look respectable. The possibilities are endless I feel for this thing. Maybe have a custom front panel made by the guys at FPE.....back on track! I also got a Sprague Vitamin Q 1uF double capacitor out of the deal. It seems to be pretty much useless as a signal cap, unless I felt like making my SEX a monoblock amplifier. Anyway, I was just really psyched about all this free stuff. I really like scrounging for stuff like this, and getting two sweet pieces for free in one day just got me all worked up!

PS~ Yea, those are cell phone pics. My "starving student" budget only allows for a few toys, and a camera is on the list.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:02:37 PM by Maxwell_E »

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:34 AM
That is a good score.  I have some monster capacitors form a scrapped GE VFAC Drive.  I also lucked into a scope and an isolation transformer.  Both of those were pulled from a dumpster.

Offline ssssly

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:44 AM
I have cap envy. If I buy any more giant caps and leave them laying around the house my gf might blow a gasket though. She is very understanding about my tinkering but I do have a bad habit of leaving things places one might stub their toes on. Like the 15" sub that is sitting about one stride from the front door. I should probably go move that before she gets home.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:03:59 AM
You were my inspiration, ssssly. After I saw what you did with your SEX amp and those cans of soup, I know now anything is possible.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline ssssly

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:28:00 PM
10 parts determination, 1 part imagination, a bunch of duct tape, a hammer, and a screw driver and just about anything is possible. Then the only thing you need to do is ask PJ a million questions to make sure you aren't doing anything that will explode and your good.