Crack LED issue

barnstead · 1472

Offline Drew1d

• Guitar amp hobbyist
Reply #30 on: April 10, 2022, 06:08:07 AM
Oh, I just read your post again. So if your getting the right voltages at the pin, then the amp should be working. Are you certain it isn’t?  If it wasn’t connected you wouldn’t get any voltages there. Have you tried the amp?

Drew Peterson from Westchester

Offline barnstead

Reply #31 on: April 10, 2022, 06:36:40 AM
I reflowed 4 and 5 but no change. I haven't tried listening to the amplifier, going by what the instruction manual advises as far as not using it if the LEDs don't light up.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2022, 10:07:24 AM
The low voltage across the LEDs means not a lot of current is being drawn across it, but you have the correct current being dropped across the 22K resistor on that side of the amp. This could be caused by a flaky solder joint at A4/A5 making half the tube not heat up properly, or possibly a different loose solder joint in the amp, or even the lugs on the pot where the black wires connect may not be well soldered.

You're close to having a working amp, really you should just reflow all the solder joints in the amp other than the power switch and LEDs just to be certain they are all solid.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline barnstead

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2022, 03:24:12 PM
Reflowed everything but A8 LED still not lighting up. All the solder joints look good to me.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: April 10, 2022, 03:27:34 PM
Can you post some fresh photos of your build as it sits now?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline barnstead

Reply #35 on: April 11, 2022, 01:37:00 AM
Pics below

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #36 on: April 11, 2022, 11:37:41 AM
I still see some questionable solder joints in the amp.  The wiring around B7/B8 makes it look like one of the green wires is going to B6 instead, but that isn't the case is it?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline barnstead

Reply #37 on: April 11, 2022, 01:07:10 PM
Right that's not the case re B7/8, though I did just take the chance to clean up that joint, which was a bit of a mess. No change with the LED though.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #38 on: April 11, 2022, 01:09:01 PM
Well, you could send this one in for repairs if you'd like.  You would need to contact queen(at)bottlehead(dot)com to request this, being sure to mention that you've been working with me here.

There is very, very likely a flaky solder joint or two at work here.

Paul "PB" Birkeland