Headphone noise troubleshooting

emilca1! · 299

Offline emilca1!

on: December 21, 2020, 06:57:38 AM
Hey guys,
Just built the Crack (straight build no modifications) and been testing it side by side with a Schiit Valhalla 2.  I have noticed that I have been getting noise in both ears of the headphones. It sounds kind of like static/white noise when you change stations of an AM/FM tuner. It's not loud and it is not affected by volume.  In other words you can hear it when you turn the music down.  It's not affected by the inputs (disconnecting and connecting). I don't get the noise at all on the Valhalla2 (pretty sure it's not the cord or headphones).  If I wiggle the headphone jack it times will change or go away and its not constant.  I assume re soldering the joints at the jack is the first place to start.  Is there anything else I should look for or test?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:36:36 AM
I would reheat all of the joints in the amp, other than perhaps the power switch, A3, and A8.  The junction of the black wires on the heapdhone jack is an incredibly common place to have soldering problems, as often only one wire gets covered by the solder and the other remains loose.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man