High resolution digital audio sources

Natural Sound · 3432

Offline Natural Sound

on: September 03, 2011, 07:23:15 PM
I'm getting ready to drop some money on some HiRes digital audio. So far I'm liking HDTracks. Are there other sources that I should be looking at?

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:48:04 AM
Reference Recordings HRx should be among the best. I have heard small bits at a show. I purchased many of those but my digital system isn't ready yet.

Xavier Cortes

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:36:46 AM
There are several but it depends on what kind of music you like.  Linn Records has some amazing 192/24 "Studio Master" recordings.  Here is a useful forum link to audiophile downloads that may be helpful to you:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Forums/Music/Audiophile-Downloads

Along this note, HD Tracks is sometimes hit/miss with the quality of the hi rez material.  There is strong evidence that they have upsampled standard resolution files (for example, the Peter Frampton "Comes Alive" was originally sold as 96/24 but after complaints is now sold as 48/24, same files).  As such, many folks wait to purchase new albums until after they have been tested to be "true" hi rez quality.  This is an added layer on top of the normal "do you like the mastering" that we all know makes such a difference.  Linn Records has, to a great degree, avoided this controversy (although they have had one or two dogs, if I recall correctly).  Just be aware that calling something hi rez doesn't guarantee it is true hi rez.  But when it is, wow, enjoy the music! 

I'm really enjoying the newly released Rolling Stones hi rez stuff on HD Tracks.  However, the general consensus is that the 88/24 is excellent but the 176/24 fails to add additional value for the extra cost (YMMV). 

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=stones

By the way, I want to comment that I think the 16 bit vs 24 bit is the most important jump and that 48/88/96/176/192 sampling rates are important but not nearly so much as going to 24 bit.

Cheers,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:12:58 AM
FWIW, I recently got  the 24/96 versions of "Brothers in Arms" and "Rumours" from HDtracks and they are both really, really good. 

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods