speedball voltages help

johnnyg · 796

Offline johnnyg

on: December 28, 2015, 05:28:27 PM
This is my first post on bottlehead. I have built the crack with no problems- everything checked out and it sounded great. Now, Im trying to install the speedball kit. I have mounted the first board and here are my voltages:

OA = 84.2v
IA = 230v   (manual says 170-195)
B-A/B = 0
IB = 230v    (manual says 170-195)
OB = 83.2v

question is, IS 230 to far out of range for proper operation? ...or can I move on?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 06:08:50 AM
230V is not out of bounds, as the big 6080 isn't installed and trying to draw current.  You can continue with the second board.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnnyg

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:28:36 AM
Thank you very much for the quick response.
i continued on and finished the larger board.THEN,,i got to where in the speedball manual it said "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES" should  I go further if i dont get some astronomically high resistance at OA and OB on the larger board,,, which, when I measured it I was getting NOTHING !! and I mean absolutely nothing ,,,not even a (fart in the wind),,,

so then I went digging on the forum and saw where YOU, i think, mentioned that with the speedball upgrade installed,,the resistance measurements at 7u and 9u will be somewhere around low or nothing really,,,
well, armed with that information( and since i felt that I had been super meticulous on each solder joint) I decided to apply POWER,,,,

BLAM !!  .....    What was it that that guy on that 70's sitcom ,THE A TEAM, would say?,, " I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN A COMES TOGETHER".

hahaha  sonic NIRVANA. It sounds AWESOME !!!  HUGE difference from the stock crack.
thanks again,
johnny

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:49:50 AM
which, when I measured it I was getting NOTHING !! and I mean absolutely nothing ,,,not even a (fart in the wind),,,
It's a funny notion, as we tend to associate the number 0 with nothing, but in this case I think you were getting infinity, which is what we are after.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man