Listening to my Moreplay

Mikef · 292

Offline Mikef

on: February 11, 2024, 09:38:50 AM
I finished my Moreplay about a week ago. All the resistance and voltage checks were good on the first try. I really enjoyed building this kit and now want to do another one. I've done a lot of listening over the past few days and the preamp sounds amazing.

I started out using it with a XTZ Edge A2-300 Class D power amp. I had been using the pre outs on a SS integrated amp to feed the XTZ. In my opinion, the Moreplay made a dramatic improvement with this amp.

I've also tried it with my ST-35 and ANK tube amps that I built. Both of them sound superb with the Moreplay. Yesterday I swapped out the supplied tubes with a NOS pair of Ken-Rad 6K6G "coke bottles" that I bought. This made it sound even better! I plan to do some more tube rolling and maybe play around with some different capacitors. I honestly think Bottlehead hit a home run with this one, I couldn't be happier.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 09:48:19 AM
It's good to hear about situations like this, as the Moreplay and BeePre 2 have some atypical alterations to their circuitry to work with those super high power class D amps without causing problems.  What speakers are you using?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mikef

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 10:06:48 AM
It's good to hear about situations like this, as the Moreplay and BeePre 2 have some atypical alterations to their circuitry to work with those super high power class D amps without causing problems.  What speakers are you using?

So far, all my listening has been through my Harbeth P3ESR speakers. I have a pair of Tannoy Autograph Mini that seem to really like tubes, can't with to try it with those.

Offline AG

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 01:42:29 PM
Hi,
My Moreplay is my main preamp. lovely sound even with stock tubes.
I test few different and my favorite are 6v6gty and 6v6G (bottle shape) both are different nitch.
so far my moreplay is running stock except tubes and we are happy with the result.
I am using a mc7100 amp (SS) great sound and now tempted for a St-35, so if you can recording a video and share your experience I'll appreciate that.

cheers from Fla.
Andre.

“Without music life would be a mistake”