A Tale of two quickies

aleman · 3103

Offline aleman

on: June 22, 2013, 12:29:40 PM
Purchased a Mk1 quickie late last year,did not assemble in a hurry left the quickie as stock with the exception of the volume control replaced with a fact  pot from a Basie preamp and two capacitors  with some icons i had lying around as well as the output capacitors with some ans spa with silver output leads.Impressed i certainly was ran for six months then installed JCS sound quality improved vastly,happy with this state of affairs then having read other posts wondered what could be achieved by replacing certain parts within the quickie. Sourced all the parts including a new toplate by the time i had done ended up with all the parts to build another quickie,didn't want to rebuild the first one anyway this i used as i built the next quickie assembly  was more problematic as some of the parts were larger than in the original ,preserved as seen in pictures with black top plate  spent as much as i dared.Sound quality the best that i have heard from a preamp as i have owned a few over the years sound now open detailed midrange to sink into vast depth and wide soundstage  and insight bass fast tuneful taught and when required forceful ,treble detailed smooth and in place with other frequencies .Aim not very good at hifi speak but anyone wanting a good preamp with bags of potential can do a lot worse than buy one of these  replace standard parts with boutique parts transforms this preamp into something else,aim very pleased.
Parts replaced  phono jacks  wbt next gen ag.
resistors texas instruments z foil resistors.
Output capacitors with clarity cap mr 400v as smaller.
Oscon capacitors 600uf  5 volts work very well.
Arak Kallas  silver plated 48 step volume control with zfoil  series resistors.
Silver  wire wherever possible. 
Pjccs wired with silver wire  4k resistors replaced with z foil resistors.
Large aluminium knurled knob courtesy of Arek Kallas .
Ps soldering solid but not as neat as many contributors to this forum also picture taking not my speciality. 

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:53:43 PM
very nice symmetrical build! Symmetry is beauty in nature. Those human faces that are deemed more attractive than others, are usually because they are highly symmetrical. I'm mesmerized by a beautiful symmetrical layout, solid state or tubes.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:19:28 PM
You sir, are on a dangerous path, and I must caution you to realize addition my well set in. Oh, you are happy enough now, but when the 'What if' demon approaches, you may find yourself helpless to resist his temptations. It looks as though you have struggled with 'regular audio' in the past by the looks of your system(yah I see those unorthadox speakers and amps sitting there). You just had to be different and look where it got you, right here at BH. Oh my, I'm afraid it's too late. Try to enjoy this magic madness, if you dare.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:22 AM
You sir, are on a dangerous path, and I must caution you to realize addition my well set in. Oh, you are happy enough now, but when the 'What if' demon approaches, you may find yourself helpless to resist his temptations. It looks as though you have struggled with 'regular audio' in the past by the looks of your system(yah I see those unorthadox speakers and amps sitting there). You just had to be different and look where it got you, right here at BH. Oh my, I'm afraid it's too late. Try to enjoy this magic madness, if you dare.

pure poetry!.. or insanity? I guess they are the same..

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline aleman

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:42 PM
Thank you for your kind words gentlemen ,the demon you mention has hold of me for many years as my wife and children will testify.Now as I approach middle age the sound of my system has never  been better pity the innovations that are available now were not around in my youth.All I need to do now is save like hell to afford the next item of bottlehead gear.oh yes this  hobby is addictive as well as interesting .but on a cautionary note my wife is a classically trained pianist my eldest daughter plays violin.thus I attend a few concerts during the year live music is the best our systems are only a poor copy of this ,no matter how good they are.on this note I will end my little speech.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:45:33 PM
I know what you mean aleman. I am really enjoying the large step up in sound quality I am enjoying lately, and it appears those around me are as well. Lets just say there is a greater tolerance, and more outward expressions of enjoyment from my wife (the all important WAF). I wonder what the limits to sound improvement really are? I keep thinking that I've got it good, then I get used to 'good' and along comes the next mod path etc, and it all changes.

Eric

4krow

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:30:38 PM
  My father and brother played piano in a way that assured me that I am adopted.  No doubt, it is the touch of the masters hand that causes the strings to vibrate their way. As you know, an instrument will have it's own voice as well, and that, is the marriage that must work between the musician and instrument. I feel that a system is indeed a distant view of the performance, and yet, the magic is still there. Live performances can bet great, if all falls well into place.
  Now, as far as violin concertos, you must have a favorite-do tell.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:11:29 AM
Aleman,

Amen to live and acoustic music.  Amplification usually runs amok at the mixer; who always plays it too loud for the music.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:46:08 AM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:22 AM
  Granger,

Funny about people and mixing boards. No matter what the occasion, the volume is nasty, nasal, and overcomes the speaker(person), or instrument(s). I have heard on rare occasion, an instrument that was overbearing for the acoustics of the room that it was being played. Funny how people seem to think that loud is better. Even in the Philippines on vacation, sound systems were ROUTINELY nasty loud and distorted, and this was at MASS!. Then there were the parade trumpets,,,,Yehaw!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:48 AM
I'm convinced if an artist is good the crowd will become silent to experience the music.  The Eric Clapton Blues tour was mixed well.

Offline aleman

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:09 PM
Just when i thought it was safe to sit down and listen to music one last mod or two maybe .The quickie will be having the oscon capacitors replaced,why you may ask I wish to have  only film capacitors in his pre amp.The capacitors  chosen will be spa 50uf 200v with silver lead out wires these are being custom built in a town not far from me  I live in Sheffield England a very expensive country ,thus finding a manufacturer who will custom build capacitors for members of the public is rare. I have used them before and can attest for the  quality as well as value for money the brand is ansar popular mid 80,s then fell from grace as people  moved onto more exotic caps.but as a company they also service several other industry thus have survived.Also having another look at the pjccs Will replace other resistors should values be available ,nor shure which brand will have a think.Anyway gentleman have a pleasant day and enjoy your music however you may listen to it.

4krow

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 01:14:51 PM
OMG, you are tempting the capacitor freaks! Brace yourself, and warn the vendor.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:03 PM
Hey aleman - (I like that name, not sure why..) Anyway - yes most definately go all film on the Quickie caps. Mucho bueno good stuff senior (sorry, AZ talk gettin away from me). I went the extra yard (another beer reference) and bipassed those with a small value higher quality film cap as well. Call ME crazy. C'est tres bien mon ami!

Eric

Offline STURMJ

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 08:35:11 PM
Minneapolis is (was) great for live music.  Theres a bar not far from here that has a house band playing sun-mon nights. 70's funk and soul, granted they are all session musicians ( mostly Prince alums) and it is the best $6 cover you will ever pay.  However, a few years back they upgraded the sound system, and the sound guy plays them very loud (painfully) Ill never understand it....just because you can go to prob. 110dB dosent mean you should.  Funny thing is one of the Jonas bros went solo and his band where mostly these guys.   Asked about it the response from the bass player (who played guitar in the jonas band, and he is prob. one of the best bass players around) said " hey, its Disney money and Disney money is good"