Probable ground issue

oldvstar · 3602

Offline oldvstar

on: January 10, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
Last summer I built  Quickie to use in my new tube stereo system. The music sounds fantastic but I have been hearing a low level hum in the background. Today I decided to track down the source of that hum. Here's my system: VTA ST-70 amp, Quickie pre-amp, Lesbox modded Yaqin MS23b phono pre-amp, and  Music Hall MMF 2.2 turntable.
I started out by disconnected the Quickie from the ST70. With it disconnected the only noise I hear is from the transformers. I re-connected the Quickie and the hum returns at the level I normally hear when playing an album. I then dis-connected the MS23B from the quickie so that there is nothing connected to to the inputs, with the selector switch in the off position there is hum, and with it turned to select either of the input positions the hum became very loud. Any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this hum problem?
Thanks.
Terry

Terry

Crack/Speedball, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 (Both with my son in S. Carolina), Quickie, Lesbox MS23B, VTA ST-70, ADS L710, Raspberry Pi with PiDAC music server

Offline aragorn723

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:05:20 PM
Do you have a wire running from the Quickie ground to a metal chassis?  This helps a lot with noise issues.  Another thing is to keep it away from cell phones and wireless routers, after doing that it almost completely eliminated him in my system.  Hope this helps.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:41:33 PM
Does the VTA ST-70 have a 3 prong cord?

What resistance do you see between the RCA jack shell and the chassis on the ST-70?

You could run a drain wire from the chassis to the ground on the Quickie, but the connection should be made inside the power amp if possible (IMO).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oldvstar

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:35:31 PM
I have a 2 prong cord on the ST-70, and the resistance between the RCA jack shell and the chassis is 0.1 ohms.

Terry

Crack/Speedball, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 (Both with my son in S. Carolina), Quickie, Lesbox MS23B, VTA ST-70, ADS L710, Raspberry Pi with PiDAC music server

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:54:48 PM
It's probably time to upgrade to a 3 prong cord, for safety, reliability, and quietest operation.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oldvstar

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:14 AM
After checking that I have a good ground all the way from the ST-70, through the Quickie to the MS23B, plug polarity, and even running a ground wire between each component I think the problem resides with the Quickie. I'm using a pair of 1940's vintage RCA 3S4 tubes, which sound fantastic, but I find that if I come within 3 feet of them the hum increases, I can also change the intensity by moving my hand around the tubes. Could it possibly be the tubes, or is there some circuit within the Quickie that is causing it to exhibit this behavior?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:52:04 AM by oldvstar »

Terry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:46:38 AM
if I come within 3 feet of them the hum increases.
That still sounds like a grounding issue.  Replacing the ST-70 power cord ought to solve all of this, and should be considered mandatory from a safety perspective.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oldvstar

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:12:57 AM
I do have a power cord I put together for the ST70 I hadn't gotten around to putting on so I guess it's time to do it.
Thanks for your help.

Terry

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 01:25:13 PM
There remains the possibility of an electromagnetic hum source - motors, nearby power transformers, light dimmers, etc. etc.

Paul Joppa

Offline oldvstar

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:06 PM
Maybe my equipment is a bit close together, I can try to get some separation between the Quickie and the ST70. They're only about 18 inches apart. Otherwise there's only the turntable motor, no dimmers, no wifi AP's or routers.

Terry

Offline oldvstar

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:35 PM
I want to follow up and thank all of you who responded to my plea, everything is now nice and quiet. I ended up doing multiple things; I found a loose nut on an RCA connector, tightening it quieted things down quite a bit. I also ran a ground wire between the Quickie and the phono-preamp, and replaced my RCA 3S4's with a pair of Telefunkens. The only sound I hear now is the low hum of the ST70's transformers. 

Terry

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 02:23:13 AM
Don't forget to put on a grounded power cord.  That is the first thing I do when working on any old tube amp.  It really could save your life as the old transformer insulation breaks down.

Offline oldvstar

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 05:12:21 AM
The ST70 is actually brand new, I built it from one of Bob Latino's kits. I do have a nice piece of power cable that I'm going to install, it'll address the safety issue, and I'll be able to see for myself if a power cable really can have an effect on the sound produced by the amp.
On another note, I'm really liking these Telefunken tubes. I do like the sound produced by the 1940's vintage RCA 3S4's that I have, but I've found the Telefunken's to be much less microphonic, the bass is much tighter, and the treble isn't as edgy and forward.

Terry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:00 AM
The ST70 is actually brand new
The brand new ST-70 doesn't come with a 3 wire power cord?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:56 PM
They are apparently two wire power cords, and the transformers are all connected directly to the metal chassis. I would suggest being careful handling the chassis. If there happened to be a fault in the insulation of a transformer there will be no path to safely ground the high potential that could end up on the chassis. Modern standards require the installation of a three wire power cord and connection of the third wire of the cord to the chassis with a number 8 screw, solder tab, nut and two lockwashers. This will serve to safely shunt any high potential on the chassis to your AC mains ground.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.