Eros Kit..... My first build!!! A couple of questions...

elharvo · 10349

Offline elharvo

Hey all, I finished the Eros build... I took my time, didn't rush, and only made a couple of boo-boos, which I corrected well before firing up the finished kit.
A couple of hiccups, a couple of tweaks, and it was making music beautifully in my system.
 My system id quite sensitive, 96db horn speakers, etc... so I have really noticed the increased gain, and fortunately haven't had any problems with noise... in fact it seems to be less noisy than my seduction!
However... my left channel is noticeably louder and 'clearer' than my right channel....  I have checked the voltages and everything is spot on, and yes, I have swapped tubes as well....
Any ideas as to why this is happening? (arrrgh, etc.)

Thanks in advance, Harvey.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:10 AM
Hi Harvey,

When you say you swapped tubes did you swap in a different set, or just swap the EF86s left and right? The reason I ask is that the imbalance could possibly be between the two triodes in the single 6922 tube. Also, are there any differences in voltage measurements between the two channels?

Also try swapping the phono cables to see if that imbalance follows and then try swapping the output interconnects as well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline elharvo

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:13 PM
Hi Doc, the voltages are equal, I did put one of my 6922 tubes in the circuit, I'll try a couple of others, I also strapped a 0.1uf mundorf to the caps, it added some 'sparkle', but the imbalance remains... was I outta line doing this?
 I am going to swap the caps altogether for some .47 auricaps I have laying around...
The issue seems to be a lack of 'clarity' and 'presence' on the right channel, compared to the left..... the left channel seems to really be showcasing what this preamp can do. I a-b'd with my seduction, and one thing I find is that the seduction, while lacking gain, seems more 'transparent'
I'm not jumping to conclusions until this Eros has 200 hours under it's belt.
 Thanks for the reply, and I love the kit!
Do you plan on cobbling together an LCR phonostage at any point in the future?

Thanks, Harv.

Offline elharvo

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:52:45 PM
This just in: swapped out the 6922 for an oldie I had on hand...... gorgeousness ensues!
Thanks "Doc" !
Can't wait to build another kit.... I've got the 'bug' now!! MUahahahahahahh!!!

Harv