Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

light pop out of left speaker [resolved]

<< < (3/3)

Paul Joppa:
Thanks for the data. I don't think the issue is with the soft-start circuit after all.  That's a relief because there was potential tube damage.

I suspect one of the C4S connections, but best to follow PB's advice, the chopstick test described in post #2.

Urbansandz:
I poked around today and was unable to locate anything loose. I then plugged it in and again got the pop a few minutes in. Normally I turn off the amp after I get the pop for fear that something could be damaged, but today I let it continue and after the pop the volume slowly returned to the left channel in full. I should note that I have the DC filament supply. Does this additional information provide any other clues? A light pop and immediate reduction in volume in the left channel followed by a slow return to full volume in the left channel.

Doc B.:
Take a close look at the 300B tube on the left side and see if the filament dims or stops glowing after you hear the pop and the sound fades.

Paul Birkeland:
I would suggest that you remove the 5670 from the socket and see if the pop happens under these conditions.  This will help in kind of splitting the amp in half to figure out where your focus should be.

Urbansandz:
I realized that the readings from the trim potentiometers on the circuit boards somehow got out of whack and were reading too high ~190v vs 175v. I adjusted the trim pots to bring them back down to 175 and I haven't experienced the issue since. All readings are normal now and it's sounding great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version