Dead tube?

goobags · 3058

Offline goobags

on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:30 PM
I just turned on my system to have a bit of R&R, but found one channel not working. Im have a Quickie into SEX into k701. I was trouble shooting by changing cables to no avail. I tried switching the tubes in my Quickie which changed the channel that was out from left to right. I'm pretty new to tubes so how to I know if a tube has gone? What do i look for and what can I measure?

Cheers
Guy

Oh yeah and its pretty new, only has around 10 hours on it since i built it.

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:07 PM
Actually, you seem to me to have diagnosed your problem.  Sounds like one of your tubes died.  A tube checker would tell you something more; if you don't have access to one, doing your Voltage readings may tell you more.

Bottom line, though, is that if your problem follows the tube, that's a pretty clear indication that you've got a bad tube.  A certain amount of "infant mortality" in tubes does exist, I'm afraid.  To be doubly sure, running through your Voltage checks again would help you to make sure that nothing caused the tube to fail, beyond some bad luck.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:21:28 AM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:55:55 AM
Sadly, no matter where you buy tubes from you can't be 100% sure that the tube has not been used (except current production, of course).  So you might get a normal tube life of 5,000 or 10,000 hours and you might get 1,000 hours.

This is not to say that most NOS tubes are not actually new.  The seller might test a used tube and it might test good then go bad soon after.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:38:18 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ccklone

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:55 AM
Hey Now,

Speaking of dead tubes . . . I just finished up my Quickie. I did all the resistance and voltage checks twice and they all appear to be in spec. When I turned it on with the tubes installed I get nothing, the tubes do not even glow. Should they glow and be warm? I switched tubes around as well. I changed out my cords and tried different connections. This is my first tube component . . . I am guessing both tubes may be bad???? Is that likely? Or I must have mucked up the wiring? Oh well, any insight into troubleshooting would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nevermind. It works wonderfully. I had miss connected my output from the amp. 8^)

--
Finest kind,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:09:24 AM by ccklone »