World's slowest S.E.X. build finishes successfully

sbelyo · 1806

Offline sbelyo

Thanks to the bottlehead crew and forum support.  I received the kit for Christmas and finished today.

It went together without a hitch.  I did build it with the switch kit from the beginning without fail but this lead me to find out exactly how the opt's behave in the circuit.  If it's your first time just follow the advice and direction and build it stock first.

Pics to follow soon

Offline sbelyo

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:44:33 PM
C4S installed like clockwork.  It's only been 30 minutes but it seems to add more separation to the instruments.

Another note is that my build has absolutely no hum with low or high impedance phones on 4 or 8 ohm settings

Offline sbelyo

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:31:55 AM
here's the pics

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:04:58 AM
Nicely done, love the subtle mods 8)

M.McCandless

Offline sbelyo

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 04:06:16 PM
Thanks...

I changed the headphone jack to a 4 pin xlr

The paint is a pewter hammertone finish form rustoleum. (Doc is right, this takes weeks to cure fully)

The volume knob in a NOS bakelite knob with the insert re-sized to accept the shaft of a goldpoint attenuator

The 4-40 hardware was replaced with stainless steel button head hardware

The RCA inputs and speaker binding posts are vintage audionote silver that I'd been saving for years

What you don't see is a goldpoint attenuator, CMC bakelite sockets, Mundorf supreme caps, a switch kit, and C4S

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:08:30 PM
That's super I really like your choice of finish on the top plate the retro Bakelite knob complements it very nicely.

Can I ask a question on the XLR socket do you have it connected to the speaker posts.

I wondered if it was possible for the Sex to still switch/disconnect automatically  from the speakers when you plug in with a XLR head phone jack as per the stock build?
 If the XLR is configurable like this I would be tempted to do the same mod with my Sex.

Cheers

Jamie

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline sbelyo

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:18:45 AM
I do have it connected to the speaker binding posts.  Unfortunately there's no way to automatically switch it.  I knew this ahead of time but figured that if I intend to use it for speakers I wouldn't use it for headphones.  Really it's because I hate going back into a project once it's done.

I did see someone use a 4P2T switch to do it.