Volume mod combined left and right channels (and sounds weird)

loadexfa · 131

Offline loadexfa

I think I followed the FAQ correctly and installed the two 75k resistors and one 33k. After installing them (and passing all resistance and voltage checks), the volume pot has more room as expected. But the music sounded off, especially the staging. When I removed one RCA input, I still heard the same music from both left and right channels in my headphones. I took a pic of my mod and the bags for the resistors to confirm I used the correct ones.

Offline loadexfa

From looking more into this, it appears I need a second 33K resistor: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=6982.0

I think the FAQ should clearly state that two 33k resistors are needed, I did not get that from this sentence: "Attach and solder one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot and the ground lugs on the pot."

I attached one 33K resistor to all of the lugs indicated. I assume that is the reason for my issue?

Offline Deluk

Yup you need one resistor for each channel. "one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot and the ground lugs on the pot"