Tube upgrade recommendations

dhherring · 7720

Offline Atom Shop

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 02:52:56 AM
A way to measure the amount of hours a tube has been used? 

A lot of the better tube testers have a 'life' test feature but it's a function that doesn't tell you how many hours, per se, are left on the tube. After exploring the (previously unknown to me) Vintage Tube Services website, I'm thinking Andy sure could narrow it down, though, with the test gear he's got.

"Music takes you places you can't go any other time."

Offline Atom Shop

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:52 AM
...GE 6SN7's and a GE 12ax7...

GE, another name with some classics under its belt.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 03:59:33 PM
Hey Greg,

Yes, Andy does really know his stuff and he does have the most impressive array of test gear I've ever come across.  The tubes you get from him will be fantastic.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:19 PM
Jim,

I got the tubes yesterday, and I will say I really like the sound. Very natural to my ears.I told Andy to send tubes to me  that had a few hours on them. One thing worth mentioning is that the pins are cleaned, assuring proper contact. I will be doing more business with him in the future.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 04:02:07 PM
So similar circuit with identical tube needs. I came across a "few" Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 "D",  large and and small O getter tubes today. I'm listening to a large O tube with Tele EF806S's and am close to heaven with the Tube Phono through the BeePre. A little bit of magic here :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Atom Shop

Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 04:14:48 AM
I have tried some of the russian equivalents and they do sound very good.
The best sounding tube I have used in my Eros is a pair of NOS Genalex Z729's

Deb

I luckily found a pair of rare GEC Z729's on eBay. ;D Absolutely without a doubt, the best tube I've now heard in an Eros.  ;D  (Despite my previous goings-on about my wonderful Tesla's.) Simply unbelievable!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Atom