Is this Normal with Tube Gear?

undertowogt · 1712

Offline undertowogt

on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:50 PM
Hello all,

I successfully build a REDUCTION just after they were released and it sounds great.

I have just one concern..................... I have noticed the REDUCTION amplifies thumps and movement on the shelf were it is placed. For example , if I tap the Shelf, the sound is amplified and comes out the Speakers. Kinda like when a Turntable is tapped, the vibration is picked up and amplified.

I know the sound amplification is going because of the REDUCTION and not my turn table as they sit on separate (not touching) Shelves and my Turn table is on a Sand filled isolation platform. Also when the REDUCTION top plate is tapped sound is amplified.

This is my first piece of Tube Gear and I am not sure if this is normal?? If it is normal, that ok , I will isolate the REDUCTION more. If it is NOT NORMAL what would be a starting point to fix the issue?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:50:07 PM
Indeed normal, it's called Microphonics or Microphony. Search around, you'll find plenty of info on it.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:05:05 PM
Great "NORMAL " Is good ;D. Look like I have another isolation project on my hands.........great

Thanks for the info, I will be researching  Microphonics