Volume out of whack

ike · 1300

Offline ike

on: April 27, 2018, 09:45:51 AM
So, I couldn't leave it alone. I installed a set of Mundolf silver oil caps. They are big. And in doing so, the volume is now out of sync.  example: if the coarse is at -27 and fine in -4.5, the right channel is louder than I remembered. it sounds balance when its at -27 & 0db.  if I lower the coarse to -36 or -45 the volume on the right stays the same level, the left goes lower in volume. When the coarse is turn up to -18 or higher, the left channel volume goes higher, the right remains the same volume.
I like it loud but I am certain I will upset my neighbors and my wife...
Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:50:13 AM
Can you put the stock caps back in and see if that resolves the issue?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ike

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:32:48 AM
Put back the stock caps.  Volume control back to normal.  Oh well, that was an expensive experiment...

Offline kgoss

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:08:53 AM
In the picture one of the Mundorf caps was sitting on the Bee Quiet terminal strip.  Was that the channel with the volume problem?
The Mundorf caps have a cover but if there is a metal case under it there might be interactions with the small signal going through the volume.
Can you mount them someway to put some distance from the volume resistors?

Worth a try, those are expensive caps,

Ken Goss

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:11:55 AM
It really sounds like a miswire or disruption of some part of the attenuator circuit when the big caps were put in.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ike

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:28 AM
I think you may be right there, Ken and Doc... I had to bend terminal A5 back to fit the caps, and in doing so, the vinyl coating of the cap was scraped off exposing the metal. I think the cap with the metal exposed was sitting on the terminal A5.
Right now, I am just glad it's back to normal. Maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow
Thanks guys

Offline ike

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:13:03 AM
Quick update: carefully installed the big Mundorfs. No problem, everything operational.