300B Paramount - parafeed cap for GPA 604-8H-II

jdm · 3539

Offline jdm

on: February 21, 2011, 01:30:11 PM
The Paramounts are driving GPA 604-8H-ll's in 9 cu ft BR cabinets (Stonehenge V style).  I am using the 8 ohm taps on the stock OPT's with 3.3 uF Mundorf Supreme parafeed caps.  Should I experiment with other values for the parafeed caps for this system or are the 3.3's close to optimum?

Jim

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:27 PM
I though I had answered this post yesterday - something weird with the forum software I guess.

Anyhow, definitely worth experimenting. Anything from 2.7uF to 10uF is a pretty good range. It's hard to predict how it will interact with any specific speaker but in general the larger caps will provide more extended bass will less immunity to deep bass transient overloads. With the 604s and a 300B you are not likely to get into overload trouble  :^)   Try something around 6uF for a start. I always suggest if you are experimenting to use inexpensive caps, possibly paralleling to get various values (6uF parallel with 3.3uF is 9.3uF for example), until you find the value that gives the best bass - then spend for a good cap of the right value. Be sure to let the cps break in before making judgments though - all caps usually sound pretty thin to me until they have settled down.

Paul Joppa

Offline jdm

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:15 PM
Hi Paul,

You have seen this question before and did provide a brief response to an email message that I sent to you yesterday concerning this question.  In your reply you requested that I post the question on the board so that others could participate in the discussion and gain the insight of the responses.

Jim 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:30:50 PM
Hah! Thanks, Jim - you're right. I have a nasty cold right now and I'm not functioning at peak efficiency I guess. Thanks for posting so I can get this on the forum. Feel free to ask more if I've been unclear or have left anything out - which is quite possible right now!

Paul Joppa