Safe to leave plugged headphone all time?

dgozalie · 505

Offline dgozalie

on: August 22, 2020, 12:27:25 AM
Hello

I am new in this forum..recently i buy second hand bottlehead crack and now just ordering speedball and some tube...

Is it safe to leave the plug headphone all time when i turn on/off the amp? Cause my friend advice me to unplug it before i turn it off and turn on first before i plug the headphone...

Thanks in advance

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:31:54 AM
Hi dgozalie,

I believe it is fine to leave headphones plugged in to one's headphone amp all the time, and have done it consistently for about 15 years with my SEX amp and Sennheiser HD600's with no ill effects. One recent change has been to add a headphone stand, which I consider a very convenient addition.

The only reason I ever unplug is to switch headphones, move the setup, or to bypass the headphones to the speaker outputs (not an option on your Crack amp) none of which happen often. I'd say leave the cans plugged in with no worries.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:13:29 AM
I haven't ever bothered to unplug my headphones from any of the Cracks I have had over the years when powering them up, and my headphones are none the worse for wear.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dgozalie

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 02:01:41 PM
Hello

thanks for the reply... now time to enjoy the music and all my headsets.. love the sound....

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:47:28 AM
Probably stating the obvious but I always zero the volume control before switching off. It's always been a habit with all Hi Fi kit. Powering up your system when the volume is still set from the last party can be a bit of a shock, to your ears and sometimes to your pocket, especially if your amp has a soft start. :o