More noise

trioid · 1761

Offline trioid

on: July 13, 2011, 07:04:29 AM
Hi all

For the past month or two, one of the two Paramounts makes a 'pop' noise every 20 minutes or so. I assume this is a cap related issue, but other than that, no issues with sound, etc.

I have not done voltage measurements; i think it is a transient problem. Any suggestions (output cap, PS cap, etc.) as to where to go with this?

Jim

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:32:42 AM
Have you tried swapping tubes?  If not try both and see if it swaps sides.  If it does then swap only one tube and see if it moves. 

Beyond that I am not much help.

Offline coca

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:29:29 PM
Observe whether the pop happens whenever your refrigerator or air conditioner, starts up. I have a friend that has a pop happen every time his frig. kicks in. It's on the same circuit as his audio equipment.

Bernie.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
Good point.  I had a horrible noise on my Seduction that was actually an old refrigerator coming on and off.

Offline trioid

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:04 PM
Hi Grainger and Coca

You both have excellent thoughts and suggestions. I should have thought of moving the tubes already. By the way, I am running EML 300Bs (standard version) and am very happy with them. The AT7s are Mullard, so I hope none of the tubes are the issue. I will monitor the refrigerator(s) and AC {here in AZ, that AC is on a lot}....

cheers,
jim
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:55:03 PM by trioid »