Does the PT2 have enough juice for a shunt regulated driver stage?

Jim R. · 2396

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
As I'm looking over the assortment of parts and iron I have I came across a combination that I wasn't sure if it would work or not... a pair of paramour IIs in 2a3 mode and using the paramount v1.1 driver board for a shunt regulated driver stage.  Everything else the same -- RC coupled, AC filaments, etc.  And I could go with standard MQ BH5-ni OPT and BH6 chokes, or could go with nickel tfa-2004 jr and dowdy chokes gapped for 60mA.

Any reason why this wouldn't work, or should I just put all the eggs in the Paramount 2a3 and leave it at that?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Yes it does. The original Paramour I was limited to 55mA (50mA for the 2A3, 4mA for the driver,, and 1mA for the C4S bias). When I specified the transformer for the Paramour II I asked for at least 60mA capability, for exactly that reason.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Well then, I don't see any reason that I shouldn't take advantage of that future planning you did. ;-)

Though I suppose it will be configured somewhat differently than the 2a3 paramount considering the direct connection, or maybe that's not part of the calculation.

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Though I suppose it will be configured somewhat differently than the 2a3 paramount considering the direct connection, or maybe that's not part of the calculation.

Yes, somewhat differently.  Depending on which manual you have (soft start or classic 12AT7), you will want to drop the regulated voltage down to something closer to 280V, which isn't all that tough to do.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Thanks, PB -- that sounds straightforward enough.

-- Jim

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
It is not necessary to change the regulated voltage - the PSU provides 380v, giving an 80v compliance margin for the 300v regulated.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
It is not necessary to change the regulated voltage - the PSU provides 380v, giving an 80v compliance margin for the 300v regulated.

I see 320V on the schematic. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Oh yeah, I forgot it was designed around the Speco which had to be grounded. Using better transformers, I would move the signal ground to the negative PSU point, as in the Stereomour, and pick up the extra 60 volts. More headroom for the driver that way. Replace the 1.1K bias resistor with 1.2K, also as in Stereomour.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Thanks again Pauls.  I'm liking this idea more and more. I always really liked the sound of the Paramour IIs and hoping this will make it just that much more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
I guess it's official now -- I ordered the soft start kit, a new box of iron from MQ is here, and my new workbench for my garage shop will be here friday afternoon.  Then it's time to setup the new drill press and get to making the copper top plates.

-- Jim